Expand A Point Selection, And Covert To Primitive

scorpion007

Hi, I have a grid sop, and it has some points selected by a group sop using a collision object, is there any way i can expand its point selection, so it encompasses more points?

Also, can i convert this selection to a primitive selection, so that i can use other sops like fractal on it? It wont work on point selections.

hey hey

u can use the edge section under a group sop, basically u use that by specifying a point group and then using the edge depth to "grow" the group, note that u must use this with a point group, not prim group.

to convert a point group to a prim group, under ur edit section of ur group sop, theres a convert section, specify point to prim and feed in ur groups.

hope this helps

aracid :blink:

thanks for the help.

about the edge depth thing, i cant get it to work, as it requires me to specify a "point group" to expand, but my group is not selected with an expression, i am using another object's bounding box, wired in as the second input.

stu, im not sure where im supposed to hit 1, 4? in the view, it will just change views, and i tried entering the group sop's mode, but it didnt seem to do anything. Not sure?

hey

i think i may have missed a step, but the process is

--> define ur group with what ever method - it MUST a point group

--> in a new group, use the edge depth method, but specify the previous group in the point group entry under Edges

--> in a new group, convert the point group (created in the previous group) to a prim group

check out the hip

pointPrim.hip

in terms of stu's advice on using 1 4, u have to be in the edit mode of the group sop, u can get into that by pressing enter in ur view port and then ` (button just under escape) then u can do what he mentioned.

hope this helps

brian :blink:

• Like 1

Just took a look at the hip and I think the wrong group name was used in the boundedGroupPrim for the group to convert from. It should be the edgeDepth group.

Another thing you could have done is enlarge the incoming bounding object itself, for example using a peak SOP.