Locomotive 2317, And Environment.

paint

OK. Hi, this is my first post, I too am currently in the Vancouver Houdini Class , with the Fine bridge builder.. ;)

a short bit about me . I just got my B.F.A. at SCAD, and and am taking this class to broaden my skill with Houdini.

the Large project I'm working on is a Locomotive, that I'd like to be able to Drive with CHOP's . I have it about 90% modeled and will be starting the CHOP's on the wheels next week . to be honest they area little scary but I'm hoping that it will get easier as I play with them..

following is the SOP by SOP breakdown before I get into doing any CHOPs work, any Sage Knowledge that I can receive , :specifically in the rigging of a CHOPs system: , will be highly appreciated.

OBJ level

capturedOBJ_level%20OBJ_level.jpg

Nodes

Trainbody SOP

SOP_lTrain_body_level.jpg

Lights and bells

SOP_Lights_bell_level.jpg

Nodes

Side walks

SOP_sidewalks_level.jpg

Nodes

Cow Catcher

SOP_cow_catcher_level.jpg

Nodes

Wheels

SOP_wheels_level.jpg

Node tree

Next the environment, which is even more complicated because eventually I need at add L sytem trees , I already have espression driven water in progress....ect..

the Locomotive being a steam powered peice of machinery will have steam set up and i'm considering doing it in i3d, although the use of sprites has also crossed my mind..

her is an in progess pre-viz of the scene:

environment10.jpg

environment9.jpg

Thank you for your Time.

Mary-Margaret Hill

Paintbrush12.com

Hey Mary.Nice to see your work posted here.

The engine looks totally awesome :thumbsup: and u have a great eye for details which shows up here.

Totally looking forward to see how your whole project shapes up.

All the best and yeah hd02 rocks.

Dhiren.

Hey Miss Paint,

Chica you want to avoid the N-Gons they cause problems when you render and if you need to bring them into other programs like ZBrush or Mud Box. Also avoid Triangles if possible. If you get them to be quads then I you can bring them into ZBrush and sculpt up every thing to look pretty good. You can also use Mud Box in Combination with ZBrush then bring everything back into Houdini. You would need to Unwrap the models but the Pelt Tool in Houdini is just freakin awesome. This would allow you get really good looking surface details on your models and good coloring. I would also think about throwing in some Fog into your environment to punch it up a notch. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers and Best of Luck,

Nate Nesler

CPR2317U.jpg

with back 2's(wheels under the Cab), and the starting the Tender (coal thinggy to the non-train folks')

appearent'y i've inspired a class CHOPs project. :D

also starting to write a VEX shader for the ground in the environment..

and added some piliminary L-system trees.

VEX_Ground.jpg

VEX tree

I'll be cutting the environment.hip into smaller parts shortly..

it's getting a bit too big and will work better as BGEO's.....

envorinmet_VEX_closeup_rock.jpg

envorinmet_VEX_midrange_rock.jpg

envorinmet_VEX_7_31.jpg

rock tests.

envorinmet_VEX_tracks_2.jpg

vex shaded tracks..

ran into a bug this weekend though . so Ray sent off the hip to Side effects...

i had recreated the scene useing BGEOs, and for some reason the spikes. won't render..

their are no mantra errors.

and everything else renders if i turn the spikes off.

the only error is a yellow flag in the last merge sop.. that simply says "conflicting attributes."

but it dosn't seem like it would kill render..

envorinmet_VEX_tracks_3.jpg

what it does : it takes nearly 3 minutes for mplayer to start,

then it sits grey for another 3 to 5 minutes, useing 85-100% of the dual proc..

then it just stops....

we brought the spikes into a new .hip and they render by themselves, .....

Hey Paint,

Your wood is defantly much better but still needs work. Great progress I have to say. :);) I will have to see if I can go out. Hopefully I can. I won't know my work situation probably until around the 15th or 16th. I will be sure to tell you though. :);) Keep up the good work you are defantly making some good progress.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• 3 weeks later...

Great work and really glad to see the results for Ray's classes. The original Houdini teacher, what a fossil :lol:

Just cause I'm an old fart and a big fan of steam, here's a wikipedia reference for the 4-6-2 that you're building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-6-2

Keep up the good work.

OK. Hi, this is my first post, I too am currently in the Vancouver Houdini Class , with the Fine bridge builder.. ;)

a short bit about me . I just got my B.F.A. at SCAD, and and am taking this class to broaden my skill with Houdini.

the Large project I'm working on is a Locomotive, that I'd like to be able to Drive with CHOP's . I have it about 90% modeled and will be starting the CHOP's on the wheels next week . to be honest they area little scary but I'm hoping that it will get easier as I play with them..

following is the SOP by SOP breakdown before I get into doing any CHOPs work, any Sage Knowledge that I can receive , :specifically in the rigging of a CHOPs system: , will be highly appreciated.

OBJ level

capturedOBJ_level%20OBJ_level.jpg

Nodes

Trainbody SOP

SOP_lTrain_body_level.jpg

Lights and bells

SOP_Lights_bell_level.jpg

Nodes

Side walks

SOP_sidewalks_level.jpg

Nodes

Cow Catcher

SOP_cow_catcher_level.jpg

Nodes

Wheels

SOP_wheels_level.jpg

Node tree

Next the environment, which is even more complicated because eventually I need at add L sytem trees , I already have espression driven water in progress....ect..

the Locomotive being a steam powered peice of machinery will have steam set up and i'm considering doing it in i3d, although the use of sprites has also crossed my mind..

her is an in progess pre-viz of the scene:

environment10.jpg

environment9.jpg

Thank you for your Time.

Mary-Margaret Hill

Paintbrush12.com

• 3 weeks later...

thank you..

I should add a fresh screen cap..

9_01_06.jpg

9-01-06 gear is missing ;

this is fresh file i havn't set that up as bgeo.

and i'm not a rigger so i need help with the movment ..

the big wheels do drive, and i need to ch- the rest of the wheels to that motion ..

started some rough shaders .

was playing with VEX here to get a feel for it..

i like the wine glass bread and bottle so far...

arender1.jpg

in a latter version i removed the pinboard becuse it's distracting..i'll replace that when i have a space bit of proc. to render it. :ph34r:

this is relevent becase the loco has some grime like the bread,

and the glass where the lights and some windows are,

and shiny reflective wheels..

Hey Paint,

The Train Engine Car is looking even better. Its going to be a lot of work I think. On your vex shaded scene. I think I would consider using HDRI lighting if I were you. The reason I say this is because the lighting looks really flat in the picture. Another thing you will defantly want to do is add a displacement into the fabric of that cloth. Right now you can't see the threading pattern running through the cloth so it looks pretty fake without it. The cheese needs more work. Its too flat it does not have any detail within the cheese. Keep up the good work chica.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler