Edl To Halo Script

symek

I wrote this script some time ago and recently just added basic Halo support. I rely on it often if some finishing after edit job is needed. It's not state of the art but maybe someone will find it useful.

It just brings EDL to shake or Halo for colouring etc. Enjoy it! (it's really badly coded, bugs etc :ph34r: )

download:

www.highend3d.com/.../edl2shk

cheers,

SY.

Cool! :) Well done SYmek.

you're walcome!

cheers,

SY.

(more options to be come...

- Nuke support ;) - thought it has seq import stuff, right?

- easy commandline re-programable parser for arbitrary edl syntax

- self-contained/importable classes to work on sequences of shot-like objects

(for actions like: extend my shots to keep margins, then remove all shots shorter then...etc)

- work interactively in python shell

- ?

Sorry for the noob question, but what is EDL? :)

Are you serious? or you play with me? :blink:

EDL - Edit Decision List. Little out of date, but still most reliable way of exchanging edition data between computers/apps/facilites/people. The future belongs to AAF or something more general like Colada, OpenDL, MXF but the future is there and we are still here... I've never even once succeed with AAF transfer! Nightmare... Even nowaday editors often work with edl on the papar... just read and repeat operations...

But back to the topic edl is simple ASCII file with row of edit data REEL, IN, OUT etc. There are houndreds of specific formats of it but the idea is as simple as it's looks like.

If you edited 30-shots video and now want to color correct it in shake edl2shk could be handy. Whoever tried to trimm more then 3 shots in shake knows this could be painfull ;) I've never done this in Halo but its sequenceNode seams to do this easier then shake's selectNode way (shake transitionNode is not usable at all).

cheers,

SY.

Are you serious? or you play with me? :blink:

Hahahaha. We just need to get SESI to program into e.d.w.a.r.d. an updated dictionary and he's good to go. Nothing wrong with its algorithm. :lol:

I was just skimming through your script a little bit. I thought you might like to check out getopt or optparse module to handle your options arguments and such. :) It's actually pretty nice so that you won't have to deal with complex arg parsing yourself. :)

getopt is probably much faster and can probably handle most of your basic needs (and pretty easy to use as well). I seem to have grown to like optparse module to handle all my arg parsing. It even builds a basic help display for you too. Check them out if you don't know about it. :) I believe they're standard module now (at least in 2.4)

I was just skimming through your script a little bit. I thought you might like to check out getopt or optparse module to handle your options arguments and such. :) It's actually pretty nice so that you won't have to deal with complex arg parsing yourself. :)

O! No! Don't read it! I should upload pyd file! ha, ha!:)

Honestly, I wrote this 3 years ago. Starting it I knew maybe three keywords and one module - sys... ;)

Now I'm using optparse all the time but was too lazy to implement it in edl2shk. Now I'm fighting with some reasonable data type for sequence of shots so one could modify any of its elements via class matods.... long way... yesterday I finished versatile timecode managing class :) This version still uses "old" methods from times there were no classes at all though I already got new stuff but it's not sewed in yet.

O! No! Don't read it! I should upload pyd file! ha, ha!:)

Honestly, I wrote this 3 years ago. Starting it I knew maybe three keywords and one module - sys... ;)

Now I'm using optparse all the time but was too lazy to implement it in edl2shk. Now I'm fighting with some reasonable data type for sequence of shots so one could modify any of its elements via class matods.... long way... yesterday I finished versatile timecode managing class :) This version still uses "old" methods from times there were no classes at all though I already got new stuff but it's not sewed in yet.

hehehe. We've all gotta start somewhere, right? :) I myself have made a fair share of stupid mistakes and also wrote some perl script to which I couldn't read. ;)

• 2 months later...

Could anyone check this script (v0.3.2) on Linux/Python 2.2 or 2.3? I've got bug reports but unfortunately don't have any acces to Linux with old python. There is no need to use any EDL, just to check if script introduces its self correctly.

thanks in advance!

Sy.

• 3 weeks later...

New version of edl2shk online! let's call it beta realize... ;)

Brand new but still tiny UI.

Recursive search of media files.

More flexible and effective EDL parser.

QuickTime Reference mode for AVID users.

Hope, you'll find it usefull!

cheers,

SYmek.