Assigning material/shader to diffrent copies

Hi all

Howto assign a different material/shader to each metaballs. I'm using a copy SOP a switch SOP and I'm switching randomy using $PT in copy SOP 2 type of material. When I render this I don't see this 2 material.

I tried this with usual geometry : poly or nurbs. It works fine. Is there a difference.

I'll guess that mantra has no support for the blending of the shaders which should happen when two metaballs with different shaders are merged. Mantra would have to evaluate the surface and displacements for each shader and then blend the results and knowing mantra, thats actually harder than it sounds. I don't think you'll find many open renderers these days, (prman, entropy, renderdotc, mental ray) that'll do this for you automatically - from *any* package. If the render doesnt have true displacement mapping then it's much easier to do.

I think you'd have to write a custom shader that computed both results and then you blend them yourself.

Not the answer you want to hear, but this will be a lot easier in 5.5.

Cheers,

Jason