How To Make A Drop?

chrisedu

Hello Houdinicks

I need to do some "chocolate milk drops" in a scene, and wondering what is the best approach to do it.

I am trying with metaballs, but the tail doesn't seem quite right. Also, I am thinking in pop render ( spheres ) with a tail generated by a split pop and using a property pop to manipulate the size based on $LIFE.

any further ideas?

thx a lot

chris

Hello Houdinicks

I need to do some "chocolate milk drops" in a scene, and wondering what is the best approach to do it.

I am trying with metaballs, but the tail doesn't seem quite right. Also, I am thinking in pop render ( spheres ) with a tail generated by a split pop and using a property pop to manipulate the size based on $LIFE.

any further ideas?

thx a lot

chris

hey.

another idea will be to wait for houdini 9 :D hehe.

or metabols.

• 4 weeks later...
Is realflow out of the question for you? You could easily set this up in RF

I'm doing this at the moment.

The problem i found with realflow is that unless you drop into a existing pool of lquid, your drop pretty much goes splat. Having the two liquids means you have to constantly re-simulate the initial state every time you change density or viscosity to make the liquid behave differently. If your lucky enough to hit the seetings you need straight away then all is cool.

Now that's not to say it isn't possble, but in the time given (commercilas) it starts become a bit problematic simulating and resimulating. Given that I'm still relatively new to realflow might not help either, but it isn't as straightforward as you think it is.

In the end I went with an animated geometry which i useed to choreograph the spalsh effect.

Once that was loking good I subdivided it down and used a bricker in the divide SOP to get the mesh density even, then hung a bunch of metabalss on it.

Adding a few particles here and there and a nice shader and it begins to look pretty convincing.

And if you have clients that want to start choreographing your droplet, you're better off with something you have more control over.