Point Instancing Lights + Point Attributes For Shaders

Vormav

Hey. I'm currently using point instancing on a light to have multiple lights created by a particle system. This works great. Takes a bit of tweaking, but it works. The only problem is, I need to be able to vary the light colors according to colors derived from the particles as well.

I tried copying over my color attributes into a new attribute corresponding to the light color parameter from my light shader - "vex point light" to be specific. So, that's the following attributes: lightcolor1, lightcolor2 and lightcolor3.

No good. I also tried creating my own custom light shader through vops, just to set a specific parameter name to make sure I wasn't screwing that part of it up. Still no good.

So, is this just not doable in Mantra at this point, or am I missing something? Obviously I can just group my particles into separate groups according to color, merge those into different objects, and create multiple point-instanced light sets from those separate objects. But it'd certainly be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Thanks

Hey. I'm currently using point instancing on a light to have multiple lights created by a particle system. This works great. Takes a bit of tweaking, but it works. The only problem is, I need to be able to vary the light colors according to colors derived from the particles as well.

I tried copying over my color attributes into a new attribute corresponding to the light color parameter from my light shader - "vex point light" to be specific. So, that's the following attributes: lightcolor1, lightcolor2 and lightcolor3.

No good. I also tried creating my own custom light shader through vops, just to set a specific parameter name to make sure I wasn't screwing that part of it up. Still no good.

So, is this just not doable in Mantra at this point, or am I missing something? Obviously I can just group my particles into separate groups according to color, merge those into different objects, and create multiple point-instanced light sets from those separate objects. But it'd certainly be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Thanks

Sure you can do that :) It takes applying the light shader attributes to each point with individual parameters. Did you have a look at the Light Instancing tutorial in the TutorialsLegacySESIVideos?