3d World Contest Wip - Torii And Lamps

photex

Hi all,

Here is an update. I haven't figured out outlines for the objects yet or added the sky.

For the sky I've decided that a 2D approach would work best. I want to have a paper-ish texture with 2d stylized cloud elements.

Also, I'm going to add some flowers.

I'd love advice or critique.

Thanks!

_chip

post-1155-1161277985_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How are you rendering the grass?

There are some prerelease/beta fur tools in Houdini... let me know if you're interested and I'll dig around and see if I can find the instructions on how to install those / an example .hip file. (I think I saw this on the forums at sidefx.com)

SO, after a couple of great crits from some buddies I've made a lot of changes and I think it's improved the scene a great deal. The grass has been removed and I'm looking into finding a better solution. One of the suggestions I received was that it needed to be more stylized to match the leaves. I dont think they need to cover the entire ground. Since I'm really looking to acheive the feel of Ukiyo-e prints they should be more of an accent.

Also on the todo list: Shadows and some flowers. Then I think I'll be done! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are you rendering the grass?

There are some prerelease/beta fur tools in Houdini... let me know if you're interested and I'll dig around and see if I can find the instructions on how to install those / an example .hip file. (I think I saw this on the forums at sidefx.com)

I had been rendering the grass with the vex hair shader that I happen to notice, applied to a BUNCH of copy-stamped lines. There were just some serious problems with the whole approach (but this is my first Houdini work so it's expected and ok I think). So I've actually removed it in this latest WIP. Kinda going back to the drawing board on them.

I would be really interested in information about fur tools. I'll dig around the sidefx forums too. Thanks for the info.

post-1155-1161349147_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is basically what I'm going with for the final. I'm tweaking the color here and there, trying things out but nothing major will be added. I'm not totally convinced on the position of the lantern closest to the camera, but right now this is the most pleasing location to me.

I've got a lot of ideas for more work where I can carry this idea (aesthetic) forward. Thanks for the comments. :)

post-1155-1162220100_thumb.jpg