Rigid Body And Wire Object Constraints

Nico D.

Ok, several things:

1 - You can't really do this properly in Houdini 8 or 8.1. Ditto for constraining RBD to cloth. Constraints are being revamped for houdini 9, and this will get better.

2. However, I just lied. It is possible, it just isn't very elegant. The issues are

- it helps to build your own constraint, which uses point numbers rather than positions in space (or in geo space) to constrain things

- it helps to remove the collider option that gets wire to collide with RBD. This speeds up the simulation and stops it from beating itself to death

- The wire needs to have really large numbers in the forces, and really small widths, to keep from stretching out and acting strange

- see the attached swingball.hip for all of these things being done. To experiment, play with the Wire width, and the Angular Spring and Linear Spring constants

3. A better way to avoid all this is just to constrain the ball to a point in space, and let it swing. Then after the simulation, when you are preparing geometry for rendering, just build a poly tube from the ball to the point in space. This, of course, will only ever give you straight wires, not the curve you've got in your drawing. But to see how this works, look at the second attachment (NewtonsPend.hip).

4. It would be great if one of the developers came in here and corrected / fleshed out my response, because I admit I'm, groping in the dark a bit with this.

swingball2.hip

NewtonsPend15.hip