Optical Flow In To Houdini

ivan

I know you can compute optical flow in Shake and Flame, etc... is there a way to get this into Houdini?

perhaps as a pair of floating point .tiffs?

Hi! Ivan! Sure you can! Although it will involve some tweakings. Doesn't have Shake 4.0 under my hand right now but every OpticalFlow tool should have an ability to export motion vector. I've done it with Kronos - which is retimer in Furnace suite for shake. Standard KronosNode exports two sets of vectors (2 dimentional): forward-2d, and backward-2d: first in R and G, second in B and A channel. Whole plate is scaled to 0.5 whereas vectors could have positive or negative value (0.499 = -x, 0.501 = +x etc). As I remeber Retimer got it ability also, not sure about native tool in shake or Flame and just can't check it now, sorry!

Neat thing about Kronos is that you have easy acces to its internal routines like: F_BlockBulider, F_VectorAssigner, F_VectorIterator. With them you can build vectors in more precise way. There is quite extensive help on this in standard Furnace pdf (Appendix C).

Hope, this help!

cheers,

Sy.

PS O! And one thing more: Some trackers like PixelFarm PFTrack can export motion vactors also! This could be most convenient way.

hm, foundry for shake is $4000... 8 times the cost of shake itself. hm. costs more than a decent mac. wow.

Foundries website says that Kronos now comes with after effects 7, wich is a mere $999....

would that work as well?

Hi! Ivan! Sure you can! Although it will involve some tweakings. Doesn't have Shake 4.0 under my hand right now but every OpticalFlow tool should have an ability to export motion vector. I've done it with Kronos - which is retimer in Furnace suite for shake. Standard KronosNode exports two sets of vectors (2 dimentional): forward-2d, and backward-2d: first in R and G, second in B and A channel. Whole plate is scaled to 0.5 whereas vectors could have positive or negative value (0.499 = -x, 0.501 = +x etc). As I remeber Retimer got it ability also, not sure about native tool in shake or Flame and just can't check it now, sorry!

Neat thing about Kronos is that you have easy acces to its internal routines like: F_BlockBulider, F_VectorAssigner, F_VectorIterator. With them you can build vectors in more precise way. There is quite extensive help on this in standard Furnace pdf (Appendix C).

Hope, this help!

cheers,

Sy.

PS O! And one thing more: Some trackers like PixelFarm PFTrack can export motion vactors also! This could be most convenient way.

hm, foundry for shake is $4000... 8 times the cost of shake itself. hm. costs more than a decent mac. wow.

Foundries website says that Kronos now comes with after effects 7, wich is a mere $999....

would that work as well?

They (The Foundary) are so sure that you will like furnace, that their web demo allows you to work normally for a couple of weeks, if I'm not wrong... It used to be like that for sure.

About Afx I only know that there is different set of plugins for every host-application in spite of the same name. Furnace for Shake consists different set of plugins then F. for AFX. But if you have to buy AFX and Kronos just to do one shot - that, perhaps, bad idea.

There is also Twixtor, which costs something about 500$ for AFX, and 700$ for Shake. It can export vectors too, but never seen them.

PS Ivan, link to your demoreel on the webside is broken and googlevideo version is so small. When can we see it in some format proper for your work quality ;)?

Please...

Sy.

a quick followup on this- we have tested twixtor. It's cheaper than the foundry suite (since it doesn't do as much) and it looks like it's going to work for us.

The foundry suite actually looks like it's got some really cool stuff in it. It costs 8 times more than shake, though. Pretty soon I think people might be saying " we have a foundry artists" instead of "we have a shake aritst"...

I've looked around and have found surprisingly that shake doesn't give you acces to its motion vactors at least via GUI. Maybe Sdk is more usefull in this respect.:(

The foundry suite actually looks like it's got some really cool stuff in it. It costs 8 times more than shake, though. Pretty soon I think people might be saying " we have a foundry artists" instead of "we have a shake aritst"...

Actually I've worked a lot on shake machine with Furnace and must say these tools are not so usefull they look first. I mean they are great (in some cases) but after all it's easier to paint hole in footage then use smartfill or such. Maybe didn't practice enough to work with them but almost always after some tests I have finished with manual work ;) . Nice DeGrain to smooth pretty faces, that's what I used to use even too often. But how to use EdgeMatte...? :blink:

Nice to hear you solved your problems!

cheers,

Sy.

I've always kind of wanted COPS to get tracking, optical flow and general shape/pattern recognition. Ever since hearing about Massive's method of giving eyesight to particles I've wanted to try to get particles to render their views and make decisions based on tracking and recognition. Just for some fun:)

I wonder if there are any general, non-production/academic image processing libraries out there that could be integrated into COPs that have functions like this? I remember there was something called Khoros a few years ago; does anyone know if there are any more like this (or better, of course) out there?

I've always kind of wanted COPS to get tracking, optical flow and general shape/pattern recognition. Ever since hearing about Massive's method of giving eyesight to particles I've wanted to try to get particles to render their views and make decisions based on tracking and recognition. Just for some fun:)

I wonder if there are any general, non-production/academic image processing libraries out there that could be integrated into COPs that have functions like this? I remember there was something called Khoros a few years ago; does anyone know if there are any more like this (or better, of course) out there?

Not a library, but this tracking project might be interesting. Since it's in development, it might be more open than other softwares.

Voodoo

Dragos