Houdini Units... Dop And Other Context

Visual Cortex Lab

HI folks...

ther's something which I'm bothering since a while.. and after spending the days on this HDA.. i need a confirmation from you guys... or your opinion on this question:

is the unit of houdini equal to 1unit=1meter? or what?...

if so ... for POP and DOP context... aint then important the size of the object or I'm telling complete bullshits? ... specially when importing geometry from others apps for example......

a cube 1x1x1 in XSI is a box 1x1x1 in Houdini .. but 1unit is 1 meter... it should change POP and DOP simulation? should I scale objects to "real life" sizes? ... in case of a char... which creates particles by its moving... shouldnt I consider the char as real life sized to perform more intuitive POP and DOP effects? (like applying forces, gravity, or stuffs like that).

sorry for the stupid question if its so.... I just need your opinion on this :)

cheers.

[one' date=Nov 4 2006, 11:50 AM' post='31777]

HI folks...

ther's something which I'm bothering since a while.. and after spending the days on this HDA.. i need a confirmation from you guys... or your opinion on this question:

is the unit of houdini equal to 1unit=1meter? or what?...

if so ... for POP and DOP context... aint then important the size of the object or I'm telling complete bullshits? ... specially when importing geometry from others apps for example......

a cube 1x1x1 in XSI is a box 1x1x1 in Houdini .. but 1unit is 1 meter... it should change POP and DOP simulation? should I scale objects to "real life" sizes? ... in case of a char... which creates particles by its moving... shouldnt I consider the char as real life sized to perform more intuitive POP and DOP effects? (like applying forces, gravity, or stuffs like that).

sorry for the stupid question if its so.... I just need your opinion on this :)

cheers.

all I can say, is 1houdini unit is equal to 1 meter :ph34r:

If you go to Settings -> Main Preferences -> Hip File Options (!), you'll see the DOPs defaults for length and mass. And yes, by default one Houdini unit is one meter. This is the basis for the value, for example, of the gravity in the Gravity Force DOP. This is also the basis for the mass calculations in the Physical tab of the RBD Object - the default is 1000, which means 1000 kilos per cubic meter, which is the density of water.

So the default RBD Object, a unit sphere, weighs about 3800 kilos, and is two meters across.

Since DOPs is attempting to mimic actual physics, it's a good idea to get these scales right before you start a simulation. For example, if you are doing dominoes, you probably don't want them to be 2 meters tall and weigh 200 kilos, but if you're not paying attention, it's easy to create exactly that.

Something to keep in mind...