Car In Dops ?

kumpa

Can somebody explain me how to build car simulation in DOPS ? Since it is so easy to do it in maya, i was convinced that in houdini it should be even easyer. But after few failed attempts i discovered that it isnt so (at least for me). Has anyone tryed this before ?

gl&hf

kumpa

what exaxtly does carsimulation mean, vehicle rigging, traffic simulation ...?

Can somebody explain me how to build car simulation in DOPS ? Since it is so easy to do it in maya, i was convinced that in houdini it should be even easyer. But after few failed attempts i discovered that it isnt so (at least for me). Has anyone tryed this before ?

gl&hf

kumpa

what exaxtly does carsimulation mean, vehicle rigging, traffic simulation ...?

hi!

i would like to make simple block with four wheels attached to behave like car. When i started to learn maya ages ago, i had a lot of fun by making simple cars and putting them on sky jump :)

kumpa

It's probably not as straightforward as it could/should be, but here's an example. The final Force node is optional -it spins one of the wheels to drive the car, but gravity can motivate it too. Experiment with bypassing that node and then putting it back into the simulation.

Then build yourself a more interesting track!

axle_7.hip

hi craig,

I hope to get Your dvd soon :D

martin

It's probably not as straightforward as it could/should be, but here's an example. The final Force node is optional -it spins one of the wheels to drive the car, but gravity can motivate it too. Experiment with bypassing that node and then putting it back into the simulation.

Then build yourself a more interesting track!

I was trying to do this the other day for some practice, so thanks for the example file Craig :). Now to try and figure out how to move that car along a predetermined path (like a kid pulling a wagon for example)

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but how would you go about making the rear wheels drive and the front wheels steer without getting into a cyclic solver issue?

Currently in this example, If I reverse the torque on the front wheels, it becomes a RWD car. Is it possible to

turn the front (formerly rear) wheels in Y as well as their axis of rotation in X? And will the friction of the wheels and the

direction of local X rotation work together to steer the car?

New at DOPs. Painfully. Old at Houdini. Painfully.

Thanks in advance.

-john

personally I can't see a need/use for a car done in DOPs...other than the crashing and the smashing and the screaming...

if an animator ever has to touch it I think it would be better off rigged and the fancy stuff done in CHOPs...

personally I can't see a need/use for a car done in DOPs...other than the crashing and the smashing and the screaming...

if an animator ever has to touch it I think it would be better off rigged and the fancy stuff done in CHOPs...

Well, it IS about the crashing and the smashing and the screaming. But I'd like to see if a car made in DOPs

can lose control, fishtail and spin out all on its own, without the need for an animator, just some

CHOP-driven chaos on the steered wheels. This is an exercise, some R & D.

So today it's just about steering. Eventually, somebody will come up with a couple of full-on ragdolls

I can put through the windshield, breaking glass and all. But that's a little beyond my means at the

moment.