Soft<->Houdini

renderfox

Houdini is the best for all procedurals!

It's also very good for PRMan scen preparing.

But for modeling and animation I and my team prefer Softimage (both SI|3D and XSI).

Does anybody know some tools for transfer project data between this packages?

If somebody working on it and need assistance - e-mail me!

Arcady, renderfox@hotmail.com

If you have some TD staff, HDK is not difficult and xsi scripting is great. My friend is writing translator from xsi -> renderman standard renderers(entropy, prman, rdc) with subD, texturing UV polys, multi-segment mblur with custom dialog box to own shaders.

There is no way you'll need to the HDK for creating a translator. Everything is exportable from Houdini from Geo ROPs to outputting chans from CHOPs. HDK will complicated your life and slow down development..

We successfully transfer scenes from and to Maya<>Houdini and we use very simple scripting to do it. Of course there are some considerations - like always exporting raw curves instead of keyframes, but that's easy enough to get around.

Cheers,

Jason

• 4 years later...
There is no way you'll need to the HDK for creating a translator. Everything is exportable from Houdini from Geo ROPs to outputting chans from CHOPs. HDK will complicated your life and slow down development..

We successfully transfer scenes from and to Maya<>Houdini and we use very simple scripting to do it. Of course there are some considerations - like always exporting raw curves instead of keyframes, but that's easy enough to get around.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi ,

Is it possible to share that translator . All i want is to export geometry and animations from houdini to Maya ?

Thanks