Fast Volumetric Lights With Apprentice

ofer

Hi! Im creating a scene with a lot of moving volumetric lights (~500 lights). All lights are narrow spotlights, and they sometimes overlap. I want to render them with some volume, but the "Vex Lit Fog" shader is very slow. I added a light mask but it is still very slow.

I wonder what to do. I understand that I cannot use i3d because Apprentice cannot write volume textures to disk. Am I right?

I really don't want anything fancy with the volume, just some fog, so maybe there is an easy and common way to fake it?

Thanks.

Hi ofer,

Yes, you can write i3d files to disk with a 3D Texture Generator ROP using Apprentice.

Since you don't want anything fancy, I would build cones for each light, which are already build for you in the Light Object so you just have to object merge them to a Geometry Object.

Next, assign a shader to each of them. Try the VEX Super Material, adjust the Persp & Para values with a fractal noise texture, for example.

Finally, to speed things up, I'll render them in groups of ten from back to front then comp them all together.

Cheers!

steven