Phantom Objects

Hi everybody i habeen playing around with the phantom parameters of the objects and it seems to not work properly or i am missing something.

It is supopose that phantom objects are objects that are not rendered but are used by raytracing for relection/refractions and shadows.

But when I render an objects with the phantom flag it is rendered as usual, when it is suppose that the object will not apperear in the render but for example will cast contact shadows due to ambient occlusion.

So how can I get contact shadows over a ground but rendering only the ground, the rest of the objects only will be used for GI calculations in this case.

Thanks

But when I render an objects with the phantom flag it is rendered as usual, when it is suppose that the object will not apperear in the render but for example will cast contact shadows due to ambient occlusion.

So how can I get contact shadows over a ground but rendering only the ground, the rest of the objects only will be used for GI calculations in this case.

Thanks

In addition to toggling on the phantom flag, did you set the value to 1?

I have an embarrassing admission...

...after all these years of using Houdini and PRISMS before that, while understanding perfectly how it works, I never truly understood why its called "phantom'. I thought sure, the objects are there but not really there etc, but now I really understand that ghosts, phantoms, vampires are only visible in mirrors.

That sound you hear *there* is the sound of a giant penny dropping. :blink:

• Like 1

Weird, it worked for me.

post-237-1172243915_thumb.jpg

phantom.hip

Thanks stu.

Yes it seems to work but i have been made some test with and object included in an HDA so maybe i am missing something into the HDA itself.

Anyway thanks for the example.

And I think that another option will be to call to this feature "Spirit", it is there for somethings but it isn't physically :)