Dynamic Chop Update For Exporting

redpaw

I have a bunch of Dynamics dops.. (glue objects) which I'm parsing thru and exporting each curve to a chan file.

Once I run up a simulation, I want to make and update the dynamic chops

to use the cache..

but its INCREDIBLY slow.

I have about 300 objects in the scene and I have tried 2 different approaches.. the first would be preferred as I don't need to have a separate dynamic dop for each output.. where I just switch the object its pointed to, hit the update, and then write out the chan data (tx rx and pivot only)

but in between "hitting" update (either in the interface or using an hscript) and actually even displaying the curve in the interface (switching from obj to chops for example..) the actual update time is over 10-30 seconds per object...

So I'm trying different approach.. where I build a separate dynamics node for each object and then update them all at once which still takes quite a long time.. maybe a little faster than the one by one approach but compounded by doing them all at once (we're talking MINUTES here.. to update an interface??? from data in memory? ) I haven't actually gotten to the point of being able to fully test the time on this second approach yet.. as I'm building the nodes and updating and exporting along the way and thats taken over 3 hours so far

either way the actual writing out of the chan file is pretty quick..

but its taking me upwards of 4 hours to write out 300 objects worth of chan files.....

what is causing this slowdown... the cache exists already... and I don't have the re-sim button on in the dops node..

anybody got any hints?

thanks

-john

Ah... memory cache size bit me .. damn it would be nice to have a handy way to calculate that before kicking off a sim.

general rule of thumb I guess is if it seems to be playing back in the interface too slow after cached then its swapping and you should increase the cache..

problem solved.. yay!

-j

Ah... memory cache size bit me .. damn it would be nice to have a handy way to calculate that before kicking off a sim.

general rule of thumb I guess is if it seems to be playing back in the interface too slow after cached then its swapping and you should increase the cache..

problem solved.. yay!

-j

You may as well try caching the sim data to disk, or even cache the whole geo to disk and then bring'em back into your scene.

rrr