Osx - Yea, I'm A Switcher

Daniel

A Flip-Flopper if you will. I just bought my first mac (well.. if you don't count the mac512 with a single floppy drive I had when I was a kid).

I got an iMac 24" 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo with 2gig ram and the nvidia7600GT card. The screen is amazing and it's silent as a mouse. Anyway.. could be a nice machine to run Houdini on.. anyone have any experience?

I found some older posts, but nothing too up to date. I'm ok installing winXp or ubuntu, whichever is more painless. I guess if I go with windows I have the extra bonus of doing some gaming (which, of course, I have zero time for).

Anyway.. I'm a bit gun-shy since I don't want to screwup my fresh, clean new mac.. so really only want to proceed if there isn't too much voodoo involved

thnx

Daniel

Not that I know the first thing about macs (other than I'm also contemplating buying one)... but isn't bootcamp supposed to be pretty voodoo free? I mean it is designed to be used by the mac crowd who aren't the most technical... (no offense meant) :).

M

Hey Dan,

I know Dave Johnson on the mailing list installed FC5 or CentOS on a similar iMac to run Houdini. You can search through the mailing list archive for his posts.

Personally, I think Boot Camp is what you need to get started.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

steven

Hey Guys, Yea BootCamp is the ticket.. just curious if anyone had any good linux experiance. I think most people will install xp as the alternate os.

Anyway, I did end up trying out bootcamp and installed XP.. it was very easy and Apple provides you with a cd you can burn of all the XP drivers you'll need for your system.. very painless in fact.

I must say, it's a snappy machine.. probably only be dropping into XP for houdini dev work and a game or two if something good comes out.

So far I'm really impressed with this machine.. certainly the nicest computer I've ever owned.

d