Houdini Install

Stremik

I've just installed RH 7.3 and now I'm trying to install Houdini.

I do everything as instructed on the download page at SideFX download server.

I cd in to directory where the downloaded file is and I try to decompress it

following the instructions

I type gzcat hfs-5[1].5.230-linux7.tar.gz | tar xvf -,

hit ENTER and...

All I'm getting is sh: gzcat: command not found

What do I do now? :(

It worked! :D I'm past the extraction!

Now. When I'm trying to run houdini.install script, another terminal window opens up and in there it sayes xtrem: Can't execvp houdini.install: No such file or directory

Very strange to get this kind of error especially since I know for shure that I'm in this directory right now and I see that the file is there!

BTW. At the prompt it sayes sh-2.05a# if it matters any...

Same thing in KDE!

I simply open new window and browse to the directory where houdini.install file is and just click on it.

A terminal window opens up and in there this: /var/tmp/Linux7/houdini.install: Fatal Error: couldn't locate distribution directory (Could not find houdini.hgz)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

houdini.hgz reside in the same folder with houdini.install right now. Should I move it somewhere?

remove the quote

1) "su" ("switch user" -- root by default if you don't enter any user name after su)

2) enter your root password

3) "cd" to your installation directory

4) "./houdini.install" or "sh ./houdini.install"

5) after installation, type "tcsh" in Shell.

6) "source ./houdini_setup" (or create/edit your .tcshrc (if you use cshell)).

7) "houdini"

Done and done! Thanks Alex! It worked flawlessly. Houdini installed without problems tho I can't start it. I type houdini at the prompt and only a Houdini's splash screen shows up for a second but after that nothing happens. I'll go browse SideFX's board, there is lots of problems of this sort being discussed.

Thank you everybody!!!

oops. I forgot, you should launch hkey first to get your license and such. Otherwise, it won't open. Since you say you saw the splash screen, I think that's a very good sign.

What I did was that I set my shell to be tcsh instead of the default BASH. So in the user's home directory, I make a file called .tcshrc. In the .tcshrc file, I'd make sure that all the Houdini's environment variables are set as well as other stuff. That way, whenever I launch a shell terminal, I don't have to resource the environment variables again. You can do it with .bashrc I believe if you prefer that. However, do be VERY careful with you're dealing with $PATH variable, tho. When you set your $PATH variable, is should look something similar to this:

setenv PATH "/blah_blah_blah:${HFS}:${PATH}"

use : to separate between different directories, of course. But make sure that you have $PATH included back in there so that any existing path will be included and not overwritten.

Done and done! Thanks Alex! It worked flawlessly. Houdini installed without problems tho I can't start it. I type houdini at the prompt and only a Houdini's splash screen shows up for a second but after that nothing happens. I'll go browse SideFX's board, there is lots of problems of this sort being discussed.

Thank you everybody!!!

Hey Stremik,

Did you install the drivers from the graphics card (chipset) manufacturer? If you use the drivers that installs with RH7.3, Houdini will not run.

Also what graphics card are you using?

Cheers!

steven

I have Radeon8500 and I didn't install manufacturers drivers yet. I've tried to do that via Gnome RPM but I got an error stating: "file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.2.2-2.5.1 conflicts with file from package XFree86-libs-4.2.0-8"

There is an option to ignore the problem and proceed with installation but in this case a warning appears and sayes that if I do so the system will be unstable.

Hmm... I am not sure how much of a help I can be as I just learned to install the nVidia's graphics card driver a couple weeks ago.

1) You have to change the default run level if you choose to start off at GUI log-in when you install Linux. From shell, you have to go to the /etc folder and modify the inittab file. Near the beginning of the inittab file, you'll find a line after all the comment lines that says something like "id:5:initdefault:" (without the quote, of course). Change that 5 to 3 so that you can boot to the shell command in case something went wry. Afterward, reboot. I personally prefer to use Vi to edit my files. But Vi does require a bit of learning before you can use them... so I am not sure what other simple text editor you can use from shell...

2) after you reboot, you'll just see the shell prompt prompting you to log in. Log in as root and start installing away. (Before you install, it is good to read the installation instruction first before anything as you will probably have to modify XF86config file located in /etc/X11) If you wondered how the heck can you start up your GUI from the shell prompt, just type "startx" command and that'll boot you to the GUI.

3) Once you're done installing, you can either startx first to see what's up or you can just go ahead and change your the fun level back to 5 instead of 3 in the inittab file.

Anyhow... I hope that'll work... As I said, that was what I did when I install my nvidia driver. Not sure if you have to do all that for ATI...

Cheers,

ALex

I have Radeon8500 and I didn't install manufacturers drivers yet. I've tried to do that via Gnome RPM but I got an error stating: "file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.2.2-2.5.1 conflicts with file from package XFree86-libs-4.2.0-8"

There is an option to ignore the problem and proceed with installation but in this case a warning appears and sayes that if I do so the system will be unstable.

It's ok to ignore that warning. It's telling you that the ATI driver is trying to replace the Open GL modeule originally installed by Linux. Go ahead and ignore the warning. Your system won't become unstable, the kernel becomes tainted, meaning you're using a module that wasn't specificly compiled for your computer.