Honey - Sunflow exporter for Houdini 8

symek

ok,

here it comes.

Late early access I'm afraid.

All related discussion was performed here, but I think it's right time to jump to a new corner. While waiting for Houdini 9 and Jason's exporter, I've created this one. Still work in progress. For some time I urgently needed to test possibilities of Suflow engine and wasn't too much interested in elegance of particular solutions. Hope you can forgive me. hscript is not my strongest point either (neither python)

There is a pdf included in which I try to smooth first interaction with Sunflow for newbies.

Python 2.4 (possibly older would work), Java JDK 1.6.0 (or newer), Sunflow 0.07.2, Houdini 8.1.

Tested only on WinXP, sorry!

Things to be done?

I work on particles!

cheers,

SYmek.

PS Please note that this crappy otl wasn't tested carefully and it's very possible it's broken in at least ten points. I have no idea also how it would behave on Linux. Just let me know!

PS2 I forgot to mention about it in pdf: Visibility of object and lights in render time is controlled entirely by Display Flags for now.

None of Houdini's filtering services works for now. To swich off the light just turn it display flag off. The same with obj. sorry for this incompleteness!

See bellow for v0.2

Edited by SYmek

Thank you SYmek, I'll try to take some time off this weekend to try it out and also Sunflow... I havent used it yet.

Now, that fatal question... -"Do you think it will work on the apprentice version?"

In Honey v.01 object instancing with loading geo on demand is broken. This is a quick render of fixed Honey.

1000 instances of honeycomb geo (kindly provided by kubabuk) with more then 1 million points each:

objinstancesuy8.jpg

About 4 minutes to render with low quality sampling. 2 minutes more to load-in, tesselete and build acceleration structure for primitives. 600MB for Java process.

Points and lights instancing mixed:

teapotsandlightsei2.jpg

EDIT: There are 218 lights in the scene. 1300 teapots (mostly hidden :blink: ) with Sunflow Shiny shader.

Rendered in... 20 minutes.

Edited by SYmek

Just added light instancing and fixed loading geo on demand with instances.

cheers,

sy.

EDIT:

sorry guys but v02 was broken in some foolish way. Don't even try to use it.

here is a fixed Honey v02 (I hope!)

sorry again!

sy.

Honey_v02_fixed.zip

Edited by SYmek

Hey SYmek,

Now that we're out of the gates with H9, I can share my old (and definitely non-working) SOHO version of the SunFlow exporter I started on a while back. It's very definite that you've far surpassed my little attempt so you might be able to rewrite your entire pipeline in SOHO in just a couple of days - and perhaps my example will give you a kick start.

What do you think?

Jason

Hey SYmek,

Now that we're out of the gates with H9, I can share my old (and definitely non-working) SOHO version of the SunFlow exporter I started on a while back. It's very definite that you've far surpassed my little attempt so you might be able to rewrite your entire pipeline in SOHO in just a couple of days - and perhaps my example will give you a kick start.

What do you think?

Jason

with a graet pleasure! :batman:

PS surpassed? Rather not, I've just got some time to waste that you hadn't I suppose.

EDIT:

ok, so, SOHO it's a part of Houdini API warped in Python which is designed for easy scene deconstruction for exporting purpose...

now I need to find some reference to it (dir(soho) - I suppose knowing SESI ;))

Edited by SYmek

ok, so, SOHO it's a part of Houdini API warped in Python which is designed for easy scene deconstruction for exporting purpose...

now I need to find some reference to it (dir(soho) - I suppose knowing SESI ;))

$HH/soho/soho.doc

Then, look at $HH/soho/soho.py

Then, you might want to look at OGL.py

Or, do it in reverse.