Heartbeat Pulsating Action

Hi,

I'm looking into making an object expand and contract back to its original state as a heart would act when beating. The trick is that I want separate areas to expand and contract at slightly different times, and eventually be able to have control over the irregularity of the beat. Any ideas regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Cheers,

srgb

Hi,

I'm looking into making an object expand and contract back to its original state as a heart would act when beating. The trick is that I want separate areas to expand and contract at slightly different times, and eventually be able to have control over the irregularity of the beat. Any ideas regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Cheers,

srgb

really quick off the top of my head, and I'm sure the pros would shudder, but point groups fed to a transform and animated? Or same thing with sqash and stretch.

No shuddering here, both of those would work fine. You might try blendshapes too though, might be easier to control the final timing, especially if the object expands predictably.

did you try magnet or inflate sop?

they are very cool

or even spring sop or particle sop could do this?

and get heartbeat sound and drive transformation through chops !

that would be houdini solution

you can even paint attribute so that where are regions of thicker tissue you get less distortion!

z

Wow! So many things to explore.. thanks everyone! Going to give everything a go for learning sake. The use of CHOPs to drive the pulsating transformations sounds interesting, especially since I shall be using a heartbeat sound in the project.

howdy :)

So, with some excellent help I've managed to put together a very simple 'heart' section with a pulsating movement that is driven by an actual heartbeat audio file.

I have a question regarding the audio: I have manipulated the audio wave within CHOPs, but I have no idea how to export it out as a new audio file so that I may be able to use it with the final rendered images. Any ideas?

I've attached the hip file for you to have a look if you want.

The .wav file can be obtained here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/2743575d30e13a/

Thanks all.

srgb

hbeat_test.hip

Hey Edward,

I tried what you suggested but was not able to do it. I received this rather ambiguous message: "Save failed:Success" :huh: (attached image)...I'm guessing this means that I have been succesful in failing to complete what I was trying to do (slightly odd). Is there something that I am missing out?

Thanks for your time.

srgb

post-2439-1184787058_thumb.jpg

hmm.. I tried it on a friends machine (windows) running version 8.1 build 704.. and it worked. I'm still getting the same problem with version 8.2.13 on Linux (ubuntu). The one thing I did notice when checking the outputted audio file (from the windows machine) was that it sounded horridly scratchy when played with windows media player, even though it sounds fine when playing in Houdini. Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks,

srgb