Rigid/Soft Body dynamics

nothing up to date, but check out:

http://www.sidefx.com/community/learn/effe...ects/index.html

look at the RBD PDF, you will have to convert old RBD instructions to v5.5.... if you have access to the demo files, there are some sample files for softbodies, if not perhaps i can post some of the files here. (not sure how good they are).

Hey man I just finished that specific tutorial on monday night.. I have been doing so much that my brain is a little fried at the moment.. Although, in trying to debug the difference is a great way to not only learn, understand, and feel like, "!@#$".. Anyway I have a set of files in steps that demonstrate how I got to the end of that tutorial... Fun cool stuff.. Post a specific question and I will try to tell you how to get around it. Curious about the soft bodies myself.. Currently dredging my way through the rendering legacy material.. Now that is frustrating....

The legacy stuff is frustrating. Here's the main body of a post I made in another forum.

Thanks for your input. Right now, I just want to consistently get a sphere to move and hit a grid and make it work in harmony. Here's the steps I'm doing...maybe this will help.

1. Create two geometry objects

2. go into each object, delete the file and create a grid and sphere; one in each GEO (GEO1 is the sphere and GEO2 is the grid)

3. In the OBJ pane (Viewer) I hit tab and choose RDB

4. I draw a selection box around both objects and right click

Now at this point one of three things happen:

a) both objects select and I can edit the physical properties and get some results

B) I can't select more than one object at a time.

c) It appears that I've selected all the objects and I still get nothing.

It seems to be dicey at best and I can't get consistent results. Until I can get this sucker to act right (or should I say, until *I* can do it right) I can't really go into the other options and make decisions based on guesses. Doing some of the POPS PDF tuts hasn't given me this much trouble, makes sense and I can get results. Hmmmmmmmmm

I agree that the "ah HAH!!" moment when you get through these things is quite rewarding. But, when I get to point where it looks differently and behaves I just wanna go back to old habits. I don't want to keyframe things (I can get the results I want, but then I wouldn't be using Houdini for what it's really good for. I just went through the procedural stairs on CD2 learning and wow, was that impressive. I'm sure that things in this arena are just as impressive.

greets again kmanstudios,

"Now at this point one of three things happen:

a) both objects select and I can edit the physical properties and get some results

I can't select more than one object at a time.

c) It appears that I've selected all the objects and I still get nothing. "

a) you need to select any objects that will have RBD traits, hence the selecting *more than one object*, you cant have RBD's with only one object right? :)

from there you can tell a particular *OBJect* to be an "active rigid body" with a 0 - 1 (off/on, respectively) value. the attribute is located in the Physical properties tab.

"Until I can get this sucker to act right (or should I say, until *I* can do it right) I can't really go into the other options and make decisions based on guesses"

Houdini is a bitch like that, you are just use to a particular workflow. Whatever *guess* produces the desired results is a good guess ;) As you complete small projects and learn how to use the tools efficiently, you will be able to produce clever little things like the straircase. Be patient though, SESI will be releasing updated particle PDFs along with some new ones.

I have attached one of the demo files for RBD named "avalanche2.hip"

avalanche2.hip

Thanks :) Between this and and another reply at 3DBUZZ, I've pretty much think I've got the hang of that. I've gone though the Staircase excercise and I understood it perfectly well. Of course, it explained things thouroughly and supplied the why's as well as the how. You're right about the workflow needing some great adjustments, but it's not just the workflow...it's a whole philosophy change. I'm still learning how Houdini looks at objects and subobjects as well as the way it relates to things. It seems to be completely counterintuitive most times, but then I've found that what people consider intuitive is what they were taught in. Thanks again. :D