Nurbs Modeling Problems

cherm

Hi there,

I am modeling my tree trunk with NURBS. The reason it has to be NURBS because I will be using a Creep SOP in order to have my wires to creep along the surface. The Creep SOP does not work with POLYGONS, so I have to do NURBS. The problem I am facing is that I just don't know how to connect or join another piece of a branch to my core tree trunk. Do you guys have any idea how I can achieve that?

post-2528-1185198674_thumb.png my core trunk (NURBS)

post-2528-1185198694_thumb.png The Creep SOP is appended to have wires to creep along the trunk

cheers

cherm

THIS is how I do branching with nurbs... and boy, you're asking for trouble if you want to model de rest of the tree this way.

Would it be possible to use the nurbs surface only for the creep, and actually have rendered tree made out of polys?

*by the way, that twisting trunk looks really really cool!

THIS is how I do branching with nurbs... and boy, you're asking for trouble if you want to model de rest of the tree this way.

Would it be possible to use the nurbs surface only for the creep, and actually have rendered tree made out of polys?

Hi Andz,

Thanks for the comment on the trunk ;)

I will only use the nurbs for the creep. I will not render the tree trunk. I will append the Polywire to those creeping lines, and have them rendered out.

post-2528-1185202426_thumb.png

Edited by cherm

Remember if you do branch the nurbs surface the creep won't be continuous over each patch. You can only creep onto each individual patch, but not across the joins.

Remember if you do branch the nurbs surface the creep won't be continuous over each patch. You can only creep onto each individual patch, but not across the joins.

Yeb, I totally understand that. I am facing that problem now as well. Do you have any suggestion for me? I really want them to creep across the join as well. If worse comes to worst and I cannot find a way to join the branch and the trunk together and to have them creep across the join.....I might have to have the branch come from behind the trunk and curl up (like in the image below). Also, I might have other two more layers inside and outside the trunk to make it more messy look. By the way, you can check out what my project is about here at http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=5611&st=0

post-2528-1185230772_thumb.jpg

If was in your position I would model the trunk replacement in poly's. Then I would draw a collection of nurbs curves ( snap to points )Draw my nurbs curves following the trunk and if need be you could create a thin nurbs surface for each curve. you can then have lots of options for each vine growing up the tree !

Rob

Edited by rob

If was in your position I would model the trunk replacement in poly's. Then I would draw a collection of nurbs curves ( snap to points )Draw my nurbs curves following the trunk and if need be you could create a thin nurbs surface for each curve. you can then have lots of options for each vine growing up the tree !

Rob

Thanks Rob. sounds like a good idea. So you're saying that I should draw curves according to the poly model and stitch them together to form the nurb trunk right (correct me if i'm wrong). To be honest, I am quite stupid at this nurbs thing. Anyways, i will give it a go and see how it goes.

This is what I have so far.

post-2528-1185287019_thumb.jpg

With this one, I put the branch behind, so I could get away with the creeping across the join thing. The thing is the camera will not move much in this shot; the trunk will always face the camera (no changes for the angle). So I think I can hide the branch right behind and have the wires of the branch coming out from behind the trunk. However, it would be nice if I can have all the wires creeping across from the trunk to the branch.

By the way, Rob, I tried to do what you suggested, but I just couldn't join the curves that I drew along the poly model and make them into one piece of the nurb surface. :(

I am not saying make an entire surface made of nurbs !. Creep works on a nurbs surface I take it. Who says the surface has to be the entire tree.Surely if you use a nurbs curve extruded by a tiny amount you will then get a thin nurbs surface. this way you object or particles could creep along the surface. so if you created 10 curves you could have 10 vines creeping up the tree. Just what are you trying to do , ie the end result

I am not saying make an entire surface made of nurbs !. Creep works on a nurbs surface I take it. Who says the surface has to be the entire tree.Surely if you use a nurbs curve extruded by a tiny amount you will then get a thin nurbs surface. this way you object or particles could creep along the surface. so if you created 10 curves you could have 10 vines creeping up the tree. Just what are you trying to do , ie the end result

Now, I got it. Sorry, it's my bad.