Let's talk about who we are...

red4kat

Ok,

I am gonna shoot. :rolleyes:

I am not trying to be a fascilitator here, never was good at that but some of us have noticed that one of the topics in the apprentice challenge got mysteriously drifted into the subject about using Houdini in the jungles of south africa and then it went far north. Well, since not too many of us could resist the newly derived topic yet at the same time viciously violating the personal spaces of others... blah blah blah

I decided to start this new topic for this specific reason. Well also hoping to hear some things about South Africa, Netherlands, Germany, France, Malasya, Iceland, Antarctica etc. Oh and I must not forget, Russia.

:D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm Marco Gariboldi (hence "MG"), 18 years old and from the Netherlands.

I've been using Houdini since a couple of months aside my schoolwork. In that period, what some might consider short, Houdini has became my favorite 3D software package. (I've used quite some already).

I don't really know what else I should tell about myself...

What I was wondering about; how many female Houdini users are there in these forums? (Betty?)

i grew up on the planet beer. beer is a great place where money grows on trees, the streets are paved with cheese, and there are oceans of beer....

:D

HA ha ha ha....bet this sing describes your planet:

http://ingeb.org/songs/onasumme.html

"Where they hung the jerk That invented work"

have to say, loved that part.... :P

you might recognize it from the "O brother" movie soubdtrack

Cheers!

I made games for several years, and in all that time I met very few women in production. I worked for a woman art director once, and a woman producer, but out of the 100's of people I have worked with, there's been less than 10 women I've worked with in production. I will say this, having women around in production seems to make things go much smoother. The places that I worked at that employed no women, always end up being big frat houses. I have noticed though, that through these forums, Buzz, and the mail list, there seems to be quite a few women using Houdini (at least I assume they are women going by their names) and the crowd using Houdini seems to be quite a bit older. We got into this "how old are you" thing over at Buzz. I thought I was going to be one of the oldest at almost 30, but there were several people in their 30' 40's and 50's. The makeup of Houdini users seems to be much more diversified than the crowd I ran into using Max and Maya.

My story:

Mike Cronin, 29, born and raised in Chicago. Amiga in the late 80's early 90's Imagine->Power Animator->3DS DOS->Lightwave->Max->Maya->Houdini. Made some mediocre games, for some good, some mediocre companies, and met a lot of great, talented people along the way. Learned a lot of things. Living in Chicago my whole life, but there's no work here. I love Chicago, but I need to go somewhere else. I've been unemployed for a while. I tried to start a hand held game developer and failed. Did some contract work, and I now *might* have a part time job rebuilding used SGI and Sun workstations. I started using Houdini last summer when Apprentice was released. I had been curious about it for a long time. I have to say it's taught me alot. Not much else to tell; all in all I'm a pretty boring guy...

maybe I'll post a pic later, depending on how this thread goes. :D

Wow, this is quite interesting! I mean, Houdini users vary greatly in gender, age, location and such! But the thing they all seem to have in common is being open minded and kind!

By the way, Stremik, I thought you were from the Ukraine?

34 going onto 35

sydney OZ

stumbled into cg almost two years ago, before then heavily into performance art, music and the visual arts of ink, pen, pencil and paint.

just about to bury my music career, i along with a friend have just released a one-sided 12" lp of punk/no-wave garbage which we are very proud of, flipside is an etching.....i did all the artwork: menstruation sisters - "goog"..........

neurotic, shy and secretive.....really enjoy reading the "pro" houdini mailing list, lots of arse/ass talk of late, there's always something on there to put a smile on my face...........can't wait to graduate

just begun my first demo reel..........

forgot to add, i don't understand a thing about computers other than the on/off button and a couple houdini buttons.

now i will talk to my 'sister' as they are more cluey to these things, we'll see if i can get some audio up....don't expect it too soon but i'll try.

need to re-start yoga/chi-gung and dancing as sitting in front of the computer is killing me!!

MCronin > you're right...there are few women around in 3D, we had a production manager for a few months (she left because she didn't like the type of work we did - 3D wasn't really her bag ) and the atmosphere around the studio was much better..."big frat houses"..heh heh...we call it a 'sausage party' :blink:

the Houdini community does seem a little older - or more mature (whatever that means) which is a pleasant change from the maya community...

as for me, my name is Michael, 31, lived in Calgary most of my life (just an OT observation - yesterday it was -25 C, today it's +2 C - crazy town) started doing web design about 4 years ago, then got in to 3D using max, after a course in 3D using Maya I got a job as a TD here, things really slowed down in July - we all got layed off :( so I've been learning Houdini, working on my demo and doing little contract projects at Aurenya, doing one now that is just animating ai files in After Effects :wacko:. I'll find out Monday or Tuesday if we get a contract we just bid on...if we don't get it I'll have to move to Toronto...live for free at the folks place...

Seems we have similar backgrounds Arctor. That and the weather in Chicago has been totally messed up for the last couple weeks as well. It's been subzero all last week. Friday it was about -26F (wind chill factor they call it), and Saturday it was about 25F and snowing. The heat in my Apartment doesn't work, so I've been walking around the house with a jacket on :angry:

You may have to move in with your parents, but at least you should be able to find a good job in Toronto. I always got the impression that Toronto was like the center of the 3D universe as far as Canada is concerned. It's one of the places I'm interested in moving to.

Well I am Kaspar Kallas, 22 and from Estonia (just south from finland, lost it's independence to Soviet union in 40 regained 92). My very first 3d job was archidectural renders 3ds and some autocad drawings, about seven years ago, from there I envolved to LW 3, then I learned 3dsMAX and Softimage (from pirate CD's, theplace was flooded with 'em back then - never used pirate software for comercial pojects) then came Maya, what I still use for production (price/value that I can afford, comparing to houdini still very cheap) and there is Houdini that I started to use from Aprentice (first time saw it on one of those cd's, I think it was version 3.1 but back then didn't know what the heck it suposed to be so deleted it after 15min :huh: )

Hopefully I can work in a place that can afford houdini after I graduate <_<

-Kaspar