Let's talk about who we are...

red4kat

Well, as you all know I'm from darkest South Africa. Started doing animation in 97 or somewhere round there. I learnt my trade on the most wonderfully difficult package in the world, Houdini 1.0..... ah, good times :).

hmm.. what else. Started odforce in 98 with Jason and have now ended up at DD with 3 other ex-South Africans, all of whom worked at the same company in SA...

Its interesting to see how many people originate from Eastern Europe.

l8r

Marc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as you all know I'm from darkest South Africa. Started doing animation in 97 or somewhere round there. I learnt my trade on the most wonderfully difficult package in the world, Houdini 1.0..... ah, good times :).

hmm.. what else. Started odforce in 98 with Jason and have now ended up at DD with 3 other ex-South Africans, all of whom worked at the same company in SA...

Its interesting to see how many people originate from Eastern Europe.

l8r

Marc

May I ask, what kind of work did you exactly do in South Africa?

Oh and yeah, there are quite some people from Eastern Europe.

@sirogi ~ thanks for the redneck hillfolk music lyrics!! loved the movie!!! :D

if i may be so bold, id like to point out some of my favorite lines:

- There's a lake of gin; We can both jump in - WOOOHAA!!!

- We can sleep all day; And the bars all have free lunches - free beer?

- And there ain't no cops - *evil grin*

- Where you never change your socks - something hillbillys deffinately never need to do

MG, I do not ask to many questions...

And by the way, when I decided to go into 3D I had no idea of the amount of women in production. Now that I see the reality, I guess I have to live with that. You can continue doing your "frat thing" all you want but if you think it's gonna make me quit or feel intimidated in any possible way, you're dreamin'

red4kat

red4kat >> In My Humble Opinion...

I also think that women have good oportunities these days...there is no lack of talent and the more technical aspects of 3D (traditionaly the thing that keeps women out of math, engineering etc, or so I've been told) are not much of a factor anymore...

It would be nice to have more women in 3D...if only to bring a different perspective to the industry...and they smell nice :)

MCronin > yep - Toronto and Vancouver are the hot spots for everything in Canada - or so it seems <_<

I suppose I am just not a typical woman... Cause I was always very strong in math and physics as well as artistic. That's why I like Houdini so much. Unlike any other 3D software it allows both sides of your brain to expand in different directions. Kind of drives most people nuts, but to some of us can be quite an amazing experience ;)

A 3D software that makes you believe there are more than 3 dimentions out there :D

Betty, I also want to add that the work you've posted in these polls looks very impressive, especially for someone, as you put it, knows only a couple of click buttons :)

so long folks,

I believe I have 4 more posts to make to become a Houdini Master

That's my goal for till the end of this week ;)

Guest MG@school
MG, I do not ask to many questions...

And by the way, when I decided to go into 3D I had no idea of the amount of women in production. Now that I see the reality, I guess I have to live with that. You can continue doing your "frat thing" all you want but if you think it's gonna make me quit or feel intimidated in any possible way, you're dreamin'

red4kat

Take it easy, geez.

I was just kidding :o

red4kat

i really can only do very little, i just do the basics, the crumbs.....just use a few simple polySOPs and that's about it. a lot of the more 'tricky/technical/need to script' stuff goes right over my head. this has me a little worried....as in how far am i going to get with this stuff?! the other thing is nobody uses houdini here in australia other than a couple uni/educational places which i have no hope of ever getting a job in.

so trust me, it's a real rough ride.........have a lot to do/accomplish within the next two months...have to have a demo reel ready....

Hi all!

I come from a little village near Rosenheim! In this village are more cows than humans. But ive learned there to drink a lot o beer ;-).

Now iam 22 Years old and live in Munich. I work there for the pc-magazines "PCgo" and "Grafik&Video". Thats my world for the day.

But @ night iam in the land of Counterstrike, UT2003 and other Shooter-, RPG- and Strategy-Games. In this world iam a big hero of frags and loose sometime the Real Life ;-). I dont use proffessional 3D-Software -- only for Gfx-Card-Tests. My collegue Leo work all the time with this complicated stuff. I love nice Graphics and the cards who show them, but born i was for beer, frags an fun.

:blink:

from what i know, DFilm no longer exists and Animal Logic was heavily into maya but are also into xsi and 3dmax. i spoke to somebody who is working on the matrix2 there and was told no houdini is used by them there. was also told by another person there that there were a few licenses of 4.1 floating around but nobody was using them mostly because nobody there knows how.

was also told by another person there that there were a few licenses of 4.1 floating around but nobody was using them mostly because nobody there knows how.

All the more reason to get a job there. You could be the resident Houdini Guru. Besides, I'm sure if you do nice work they'll hire you to work on whatever software they may be using.

Wow!

This topic got hot! ;)

So many people, so many backgrounds! It's like a few hot spots around the globe are all going to this forum. Cool! Loved to hear all of your stories!

Oh my and now this is my 50th pole! I am a Houdini Master now! :D:D:D Yeah!

Now that I'm all set, I am ready to head out the highway south, rock'n'rollin' all the way! :D:D:D