Painting Images On Live Action

phiru

Hello!

Id like to create this effect where a 2d image paints itself onto an object/ objects on a live action plate. The objects in this case are pieces of white crockery. What i would like to have is an image ( example a piece of fruit) paint itself on the object as a glowing silhoutte. As the silhoutte glow fades out you see the details and colour of the 2d image. I hope this description makes sense. I guess the crux of my problem is that i want to have the image look like it is being painted on the surface. I do not want a linear fade in. . Would my approach have to be particles, custom shaders? I am pretty lost!!!! Any help will be deeply appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Here's how I'd do it (three stages):

First stage, create the painted artwork in 2D: animate the brush strokes geometrically (sweeps?) and composite them to reveal the final image in 2D.

Second stage, apply the 2D result to the crockery: model the crockery in 3D, line it up with the plate, and apply the result of the previous step as an animated texture map.

Third stage, post the result here so we can see it. :)