Problems In H9 With 'chops Deforming Geometry Part 1'

seeker

Hello all, new user here, and I'm stuck while working through this tutorial.

At 1:21, when the instructor chooses "display channel" for the CHOP, the viewport changes and shows the graphs of the (x,y,z) axis automatically.

For some reason, when i choose this, the viewport stays the same (normal geometry view). I have tried changing it manually to a 'Channel Editor' viewport, but no luck. I cannot figure out how to display those curves.

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

As I suppose you're referencing to the oldschool's blog tutorial which was prepared in Houdini 8. In this case panes are linked and they change their context automatically all together. In Houdini 9 you have to do it manually for CHOPS and the viewer for CHOPS is called "Motion View" not "Channel Editor" which is different story. RMB on Tab name and select Motion View from a list.

I understand that this may be confusing for a newbie but in Houdini there are two kind of channels related editors:

1. Channel Editor - you see it by default as one of tabs in main pane. This is equivalent to channels editors in others applications.

2. Motion View - part of a much more powerful CHOPS context which is actually absent in any other software. oldschool tutorials plays with this one.

hope this help,

sy.

Edited by SYmek

I've just also found such a note in developers journal concerning 9.0.691 build:

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Houdini 9.0.691: The Context View pane now can display all node types. I.e., it is capable to track into channels, shaders and scheduled renderers. Previously, the path could not be changed to CHOPs, SHOPs, VOPs, and ROPs, but now the Context View can handle these paths.

If I understand this note correctly "Context View" pane (ALT+F9) will follow you to all context - so chops also. This mimics H8 behavior as long as you work with Context View not Scene View pane.

cheers,

sy.