marc: model: sci-fi elf pilot

Marc

Hi all

Right, in a total shift from my last character I'm now doing a sci-fi pilot character. She will be elven and probably have some fantasy/manga elements to her (weapons, clothing etc.).

I was originally going to have her standing next to a mech, but I'm in two minds about that. She may end up next to some sort of tracked vehicle...

I don't have any sketches because my drawing skill suck ass at the moment. So you'll have to use your imagination. :)

Anyhoo, I started on the head this weekend, and this is what I've come up with.

face1.jpg

face1wire.jpg

Theres a ton of work to be done, she needs to be prettier for one thing. I don't know about you, but I've never met any unattractive elves... ....er.... well, when I've been sober anyway :P

l8r

Marc

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....well, when I've been sober anyway

haha! great way to get inspired eh marc? ...hangin over the toilet bowl brooding over dinner floating in the water!! mmmmhmmm!

the model looks great so far, are you going for the modeling part of the challenge? perhaps for inspiration you can look into some warhammer 40k vehicles/clothing designs. :D

Yip, modeling is the one for me :).

hmmm... liv tyler eh? I may try that actually. At the moment I have quite a few high res pictures of natalie portman to start working off of (since she happened to be the first person I found a front and side picture of here.

As long as Ms Tyler is not copywritten then I'll be good to go :rolleyes:

Marc

...well I just went to a Brittany Daniels site :), very pretty too... I'll have to ponder on this. Nothing like using work's bandwidth for 'reference'.

small update.

Now that I look at the images in the light of day (I grabbed them last night), theres a ton of stuff wrong with her. Please feel free to comment though as different eyes may spot something I haven't noticed. Remembering, of course, that she's going to be fully clothed, so I'm going for correct proportions mainly, not necessarily anatomically correct.

body1.jpgbody1_wire.jpg

really??? ...er.... thats no good. Do you have a link, so I can see what not to do :). (I would like to end up with something thats not too derivative :))

Edit : Don't worry, I found a pic... Needless to say I'm not worried anymore :P. The only similarity between that and what mine will look like is the ears.

Hi Betty

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I thought of going semi photoreal, only having the character design style as a manga. The contrast might be quite nice. But then, I hadn't really thought about it too much. That can all come later :).

• 4 weeks later...

So... over a month later :). Here are some updates. I wasn't quite ready, but I may as well post something...

A few comments first.

* I still have work to do on the mouth (other than put teeth in).

* The arms haven't had any work done to them yet, they're next.

* No belly button.. *gasp*. Its coming too.

The legs I'm not too worried about because she's going to have pants on and they're going to be slightly bulky (and hence lose the exact shape).

Please feel free to comment at will though, even if its about the above mentioned items.

elf_new_body.jpg

elf_new_head.jpgelf_new_hand.jpg

Cheers

Marc

looking good marc!!!! :o but i have some observations for ya!

from a distance her face seems to be a little wide...iam looking at the cheek, jaw, and brow...specifically, the jaw line leading to the ear seems a bit wide, perhaps the forhead can be more pronounced or elongated. mind you, iam going off the traditional D&D elvish look, which is the long narrow face with big eyes ;) iam asking myself, adolescent innocence? or babish adult elf? if its the innocent version, all is well...but if you are going for the scantily clad seducer elf, perhaps the illustration found in the link below will help you out!

http://www.everquest.com/

theres better references of course...but there are a couple elvish looking illustrations on the front page.

also, i saw this piece done by pascal blanche on cgchannel...

mermaid.jpg

most notably the attention to detail around the arms, and skin folds.. you should or could do fine details in the texturing phase i rekon!!

Hey Mike

Yeah, good comments. I was trying to move away from the traditional elvish look (high cheekbones, narrow jaw etc.) but I may end up having to go that route... Theres definitely something bothering me with the proportions. ie the head looks fine on its own, but when looked at together with the body, then it doesn't look right. Once I've gotten past that then I'll work on making her look more exotic.

Its difficult when you've got a grand total of 0 decent proportion images to look at... :). I'll try and dig some up in a little bit. Right now though, I'm off to the dentist...

Thanks

Marc

P.S. That Pascal image is just awesome. If I come anywhere close to what he's got then I'll be very proud of myself.

asthetically people see the pointy ears and make the assumption "elvish", so you have that covered ...i think going with the traditional long facial features would probably help her image alot. i look at it like this, we are creating characters that dont exist, the more we exagerate details the better the final image will be, (although this idea can backfire, it would deffinately rely on the artists vision)... so to elaborate on my drivel, some examples could be to make the brow stick out more, the eyes a little bigger than usual (or smaller!), elongate the neck slightly etc etc!! (just suggestions, the stuff i listed might actually turn her into an ugle man beast, bleh)...

the head may be a tad too big on the body... actually, it may not be... kinda hard to tell without any hair. One good measure is how many heads high the body is. Including the head, a human male is about 8 heads high, a female about 7.5. A dwarf may be between 4-5 heads. As far as elves go, I'm not really sure, but you could maybe measure whatever reference you have.

Cartoony characters usually have bigger heads, larger eyes, and smaller noses (not always, duh, but I think generally they do).

Anyhoo, one suggestion I have is to give the head a more edgy, chiseled out, look, to give it more character. That can make a character look too masculine, but you can always smooth it later.

Anyway, I'm sure putting hair on it will make all the difference.

Still sleepy,

Jens