Lscm Texture Unwrapping

LSCM and the ABF flavour are entirely angle based. What they try to do is match the internal angles of the polys in uv space with those in 3D space. What it doesn't do is take into account the area of the polys so you still get stretching issues, as we can see in the bunny ears in the previous post.

It looks like the main difference to UVpelt is there is no need to specify a frame, the edges in uv space are completely unconstrained. This is most noticeable on less organic examples like the cube which unfolds very nicely into the classic cross shape as used in environment maps.

Its interesting though that although the uv pelt looks more distorted in uv space the renders with the checker on in 3d actually look better, certainly the ears seem to have a better distribution on them.

Edited by sibarrick

Yeah unfortunately I'm having to fight with the way houdini handles these types of interaction via the hdk. Hence the need for 2 sops and an edit inbetween. I would have to duplicate the functionality of the uvedit sop inside my sop otherwise, which I don't really fancy doing as its too much work for a "free" tool. The idea here's is that in cases where having it procedural is more useful at least there is a way to do it. For other cases you may well be happier outputing to obj and using an external program. Personally I just like having everything in one place and a full history of what I did.

That work flow they show in the tutorial should work with my sop. Just edit vertex uv positions with the edit sop instead of editing poly positions and then only set 2 pins. 2 is the minimum number for LSCM regardless of implimentation.

Actually I was toying with the idea that I should auto detect all open edges as seams, I don't think that would be to hard. In fact it may already work if you just don't put anything in the edges field, or only supply edges that aren't already open.

Edited by sibarrick

• 6 years later...