Which Version Of Linux And Houdini

Tiago

Hello,

Maybe you guys can help me.

I have a macbook pro intel c2d and I want to install Houdini Apprentice.

For that, I need to install linux.

Should I go for linux 32 or 64 bit? What are the big advantages of one against the other?

And what are the differences between linux i686 gcc3.3 and the other 32 bit versions?

Thank you for your help,

Tiago

macbook pro's arent 64bit, so you'll have to stick to 32bit os'es

as for which version of linux, i've had success with ubuntu, but that was a while back and it was on a pc, don't know which flavour of linux would work better for macs.

if your looking to install linux, i would recommend doing it either through bootcamp or parallels

cheers

jeff

(Santa Rosa/nvidia based) Macbook Pros are 64bit and can run 64bit version of Ubuntu for example (OSX isn't fully 64bit as of Tiger, maybe more so in Leopard).

I had some problems with my minimal effort (tried to boot twice :) to boot the 7.10 live CD, but apparently Graham (one of the SESI developers) had a really positive impression (only had to add nvidia, wifi and keyboard backlighting manually) and runs Houdini9 great as well. This is using the 64bit non-alternative image.

Maybe he could shed some lights on this, but I'm gonna try soon(ish) and maybe report here.

Also, there are some good resources on various Ubuntu forums as well.

cheers,

Andras

ps: this is not a linux flavor proposition, but for now apparently Ubuntu has best out of the box support for the MBPs.

On the third attempt I managed go boot successfully the 64bit 7.10 Live CD (just to give you some confidence :)

Here is what I did at the boot menu:

- change the resolution at the VGA menu to 1400x900 (on a 15" MBP)

- go to the last menuitem to edit the advanced options and delete the words "quiet splash" (following Graham's suggestion)

After this, it booted correctly, sound, power management, even my printer working fine. Now it's time to install it properly, but it's definitely a good start.

As Kodiak mentioned, I've had nothing but good things to say installing Ubuntu 7.10 x64 on my Santa Rosa Macbook Pro. Pretty much everything works, except the damn keyboard back light. Yesterday I decided to install the release version of Leopard, so I ended up blasting away all my stuff and reinstalling everything with a triple boot setup of OSX. Ubuntu and Windows Vista. Other than some silly screw ups on my end (installing the boot loader to the wrong partition), everything went very well and I've had no problems.

• 1 month later...
As Kodiak mentioned, I've had nothing but good things to say installing Ubuntu 7.10 x64 on my Santa Rosa Macbook Pro. Pretty much everything works, except the damn keyboard back light. Yesterday I decided to install the release version of Leopard, so I ended up blasting away all my stuff and reinstalling everything with a triple boot setup of OSX. Ubuntu and Windows Vista. Other than some silly screw ups on my end (installing the boot loader to the wrong partition), everything went very well and I've had no problems.

Thanks for the input guys.

So I installed, through boot camp, Ubuntu 7.10 64bits (alternate cd) on my macbook pro.

After some tweaking on the graphic card driver (nvidia geforce 8600m gt, 256MB), everything is working fine.

However, I installed Houdini 9 apprentice (ubuntu 64 bits version), but when I run it, it gets slow, and after a couple of minutes the laptop freezes completly.

Anyone knows what it might be? Any suggestions to fix the problem?

Thanks!