Wire Consistency Problem

exel

I'm trying to develop an effect using DOPs wires, and for now I'm just trying to prototype my effect on just a few wires for speed and simplicity, and then propagate it to hundreds of wires once I've got something I like. My problem is that the simulation is changing drastically as I add more wires... I've attached a pic and an example hip file to help illustrate this :

3 grids, each with a set of wire "hairs" attached to them, which then go through their own DOPnets. Depending on the # of wires in each sim, the results are different. The 3x3 grid has very loose and floppy hairs, but the 10x10 grid produces much stiffer hairs with the same DOPs settings.

I have a vague idea of why this is happening, but I have no idea how to get consistency when going from a set of 9 curves to a set of 100 curves. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

-JS-

post-40-1196450757_thumb.jpg

dops_wire_comparison.hipnc

3 grids, each with a set of wire "hairs" attached to them, which then go through their own DOPnets. Depending on the # of wires in each sim, the results are different. The 3x3 grid has very loose and floppy hairs, but the 10x10 grid produces much stiffer hairs with the same DOPs settings.

I have a vague idea of why this is happening, but I have no idea how to get consistency when going from a set of 9 curves to a set of 100 curves. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

-JS-

This is a little disturbing.

I'm curious, what is your vague idea of why this is happening?

This is a little disturbing.

I'm curious, what is your vague idea of why this is happening?

I'm guessing since I'm creating all of those hairs within a single Wire Object DOP, the simulation is looking at the entire set of curves as one object. The number of segments in the curves will also affect the wire DOP motion quite a bit, and I think when I change the number of curves I'm feeding into the Wire solver, it's dramatically changing the segment count.... (that's just my guess)

I've also discovered another weird problem -- I tried creating up and out point attributes for my wire glue constraints to use, which seems to work at first but then as my surface animates (I've got a grid that's curling and rolling up at one corner), the wires seem to start twisting and rolling all in unison... still trying to figure out the cause of that one...

-JS-

i guess that too, i had a similar problem when i wanted to create a random number of bouncing softbodies in h8 ..if i remember right i had to build a new multi-softbody object dop.. the problem is that softbody and i guess also wire object dops import all geametry as one single object and thus create problems.. essentually this is solvable by creating a new -multiwire-object dop by looking into the rbd fractured object and building a similar dop with additional wire-solver compatible data .. then each hair needs an own group.. i guess there are even more and better solutions but that would be my approach.

but im pretty sure there is no simple "switch on/off" solution here :-(

best regards

Gunnar

i know it might be a silly solution (since i'm new here), but as far as i understand mas gets distributed on every every primitive, the more wires you have - the more mass you need.

Edited by Owl

i know it might be a silly solution (since i'm new here), but as far as i understand mas gets distributed on every every primitive, the more wires you have - the more mass you need.

...or an even easier solution -- just toggle "compute mass" back on

<groan>

can't believe I missed that one, fairly obvious too.

<crawls back under rock>

post-40-1196809984_thumb.jpg

okay so there was a one-button fix :blush:

but before you completelly hide under your rock: did it fix the twisting and rolling problem of the wires on complex guide movements too???

yeah it did, but in hindsight I may have been misinterpreting what I was seeing, I think the "twisting and rolling" was actually some residual dynamics movement that by coincidence had the wires all moving in unison... anyway, after much noodling and a lot of extra leg work (I wound up blending multiple sims together and some attribute-based point fudging on top of that) , I'm moving forward nicely... stay tuned for a wierd little one-off in the WIP section...

-JS-