Unroll The Surface

kubabuk

I am trying to roll and unroll the surface, some sort of "toilet paper" effect (sorry, that exactly describes what I am looking for). The crucial thing is to have the surface to start rolling from the tip (end point) not from the bottom, which is pretty simple to recreate using lsys. (have a look at the attached image)

I am looking for as simple solution as possible, trying to avoid dynamics, particles etc. so ideally I am interested in chops, expressions or some l-system neat expression. I also got a nice shape with a creep sop, creeping curve over a tube and using small translation on z to get a spiral, but from that point have no idea hot to unroll it... :)

anyway if any of you have some ideas, looking forward to them.

thanks

kuba

post-823-1196856282_thumb.jpg

Video part 3 may help,

I tried something similar some time ago: unrolling a fern-like plant.

I tried to use spiral expressions (sin(x),cos(z)) with animated radii and centers.

All that curled was my brain ...

I just forgot about it, be rethinking it might be usefull to introduce some rotation as well.

Georg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

don't mean to hijack...but I did these awhile ago in Max MCG....I'm absorbing Houdini like a sponge as you might have noticed thru various posts and would one day hope to do these in Houdini...

Is there something already though ? Basically, given any spline(s), curl it (..well, curl a copy)...it was more challenging to do the curl vertically instead of flat on surface.

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 1

any remote chance I have of tackling this in houdini would be via VOPs...coz I'm not a coder...that was same in Max, know nothing of maxscript so just wired nodes together. Need to at least double triple quadruple my current VOP experience tho...