Houdini 10 Wish List

Jason

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for:

1 & 3: to get better user feedback.

7 & 14: for me in the same group - faster dynamics.

10 & 11: betetr modelling workflow.

And

18: hoe many times I have thought why i can insert nodes like in fusion or nuke, or disconnect like in shake, etc ... At the en is a lot of time saved.

Agree with everyone about more speed improvements and polish of existing features (muscles);

New interface added to CHOPs ala XSI animation mixer/Maya trax to allow for animation blending/editing.

CHOPs already has all the tools, we just need a good interface. Being able to fetch/blend Takes would be great.

Agree with everyone about more speed improvements and polish of existing features (muscles);

New interface added to CHOPs ala XSI animation mixer/Maya trax to allow for animation blending/editing.

CHOPs already has all the tools, we just need a good interface. Being able to fetch/blend Takes would be great.

You can fetch and blend stuff from characters/nodes etc, but nothing from takes. It would be an interesting (but dangerous) approach to be able to, for instance, import/fetch a "take" just like a node, so all of the changed parameters could be imported, specified, exported etc. A lot of care would have to be taken to really get this approach to be solid. But, CHOPs are sample based like rendering, so if you think about them as compositing animation layers (from takes) instead of compositing rendered-image layers (from takes) it makes sense.

Edited by andrewlowell

19. why is common Houdini lingo used so infrequently in the actual app? SOPs, VOPs, ...

I can't answer this but I find that new users get nice and comfortable with the acronyms quickly. Those that want to learn and use Houdini in production.

There is a reason why these acronyms exist:

Put down a SOP.

Put down a Geometry Node.

From my own experiences training several users and then try and say Geometry Node a thousand times. You'll be saying SOP in no time. ;)

I can't answer this but I find that new users get nice and comfortable with the acronyms quickly. Those that want to learn and use Houdini in production.

There is a reason why these acronyms exist:

Put down a SOP.

Put down a Geometry Node.

From my own experiences training several users and then try and say Geometry Node a thousand times. You'll be saying SOP in no time. ;)

But H9 is confusing: ch instead of CHOPs, img instead of COPs, out instead of ROPs, part (!!!) instead of POPs, vex instead of VOPs... To many confusing changes. I understand what mean those ch, img etc. and some of those acronyms are not new but was it really necessary to change all this stuff?

VOPs is more logical than vex (and I vote for renaming VEX Operat/ions/ors to Visual Operat/ions/ors because now we have support not just for VEX but also for Renderman and who knows what else will be supported in VOPs in the nearest future). Guys return all old acronyms please! :)

It's always been that way, hasn't it? I'll need to load up h8 when I'm at work. Admittedly I agree there should be consistency with the acronyms, but it's not only H9 that has the problem.

Nope, I've checked H8 :lol: (I mean not the paths like /img/img1/... but probably they could be fixed too)

But H9 is confusing: ch instead of CHOPs, img instead of COPs, out instead of ROPs, part (!!!) instead of POPs, vex instead of VOPs... To many confusing changes. I understand what mean those ch, img etc. and some of those acronyms are not new but was it really necessary to change all this stuff?

And the masterpiece, "Motion View" instead of CHOP viewer, guaranteed to throw most users, old and new, into complete confusion.

Dragos

And the masterpiece, "Motion View" instead of CHOP viewer, guaranteed to throw most users, old and new, into complete confusion.

Dragos

Agreed. Why making a fine working system less systematic? Why inventing more names that don't help but only confuse the users? Why not just following the long established traditions and supporting the simple standards? Some cool esoteric reason for that somewhere out there?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
1. Better text editor more like EMACS or VC++ in houdini expression UI and vex code viewer.

2. Faster UI and network performance.

3. Make the polygon, points easier for modeler to select.

yes, better selection tools and also smarter polysplit.

Add an Image browser in the display option that can show thumbnails so that one can see what they want to load as background.

Looks like this file browser got missed in the sweep to be marked as turning on Show Images by default. Not sure if it was intentional or not. Just right-click on the file list and turn on Show Images.

hi!

I would like to have the following things:

- separate image on env light for reflection and indirect lighting

- distance of sampling on env light ( all these are on vex gi light, just it would be nice to have it on env light)

- display of imported map in the viewport (env light)

- production ready shaders

- IPR

- auto archive

- proper support for vertex normals (without breaking up the geometry)

and everything else :)