• CHOPs (channel ops)
    • COPs (composite)
    • Shading/Rendering
  2. 2. Difficulty level?

• Beginner
    • Intermediate
    • Advanced

Hi

I have vote for Shading and rendering advance, i will like to see tutorials related to shader writing in vex.

Also i have vote for RBD & Fluid Dynamics advance to see tutorials that explain for example the creation of a fluid, smoke, RBD solver from scratch.

Thanks.

Edited by Pazuzu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Particles and CHOPs :) being an FX student and a beginner with houdini... I m starting with scratch and these areas have fascinated me the most... so I would like to see some new stuffs for these... that could help me better to lay my my hands on this amazing package ;)

• 1 month later...

I voted for DOPS and Shading/Rendering

An explanation of my reasons are at this post

http://forums.odforc...ls/page__st__12

I'd like this:

Particles/Fluids/RBD Destruction! A beginning to end of How to do a "professional" explosion from start to FINISH... I want to see how to take a realistic textured model of a building or object and have an explosion(pyrofx) that blows out the side of the wall(rbd/particles)... then how to get some interactive lighting, how to separate the effect into passes for compositing, and "it would be fantastic" to be able to see the quick and dirty low down of taking those passes, putting them together and rendering the finished shot! Maybe a 2 part dvd? One on the simulation of the particles/fluids and the other on lighting/rendering/compositing it?

Liquid Fluids: A professional scale, liquid sequence. *such as the generic water rushing down a hallway*... This would cover the, basic flood, the finer details, the spray, the lighting/shading/rendering, individual passes, and the final comp!

MATERIALS/SHADERS! A step by step approach on how to create a painted brick wall, with cracked paint, and procedural dust and dirt... with correct displacement. In renderman, we used baked occlusion to drive our dust and dirt... *since it's those areas where dust and dirt naturally goes to*

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

• 5 months later...

I loved the cmiVFX shading and rendering tutorials, but I would like to see some more advanced nodal shader usage. It's hard as it is to find those classes in the real world for any shader package Vops, Slim, dare I even say in 3ds Max too, now.

I would like to have tutorials on how to use varios expressions in houdini. As most of the users switching from other applications to Houdini find it difficult (just reading help file dosent help atleast for beginners)

If chops and lsystem are unique features of Houdini then there should be lots of training material available on sidefx website about chops & lsystem. I would like to have basic and intermediate level training material on all the modules.

• 2 months later...

Okay, here is my Idea (posted again on at cgsociety)

4 Hour realistic start to end tutorial for special effect in Production :o

Live Action and CG with Houdini

How to take your Houdini 3D models and incorporate them seamlessly into a Live Action HD video.

- Basic Motion Tracking Footage with Syntheyes, Boujou etc. and bring into Houdini

- Adding 3D Objects and realistic Lights (HDRI, Radiosity ) to Scene that work

- In Depth Rendering out the Different Passes

- Compositing all togehter with Fusion or After Effects

I ask for this, because for Houdini there is not any such Lessons for the hole pipeline on all Houdinis learning resources and it's quite different to render results for live footage.

Here is an overview example for Maya, this original course is about 2 1/2 Hours:

Its can be a simple scene shot but the focus must on realistic results

My Suggestion: A Bridge collapse over a river - A live Footage from a River and a CG Collapse Bridge

http://download.sidefx.com/images/stories/community/gallery/bridge_collapse.mov

So you can show: Tracking Footage, using a Bridge Asset, DOPs, particle systems, procedural VEX shader, VOPs and HDRI Shading in Action.

I suggest Live action and CG because i was surprised that there is not any of this for Houdini and the node based workflow is complete different to other 3D App. - Camera mapping, using matchmoving Data, Shading, Lightning and render passes for seamless(!) integration. For Houdini-Apprentice it useful to see one time this complete workflow for use in Live Action.

A small Making Of Live Action and CG

All the other HD tutorials (like Peter Quint's videos) play around with DOPs, VOPs, VEX, POPs etc. but the render end-results often looks terrible and unusable or there are no Outputs.

Their are many independent or Apprentice real filmmakers outside the big studios, which use Houdini for CG Elements in Real Footage and with this Tutorial Series or DVD (shipping, download) you should learn how to get realistic final results with the (not user friendly) Houdini.

So, hope for this.

Thanks

Edited by Eagle66

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely agree with Eagle66 on the idea of long form project and production based tutorials. I would definitely be in for buying some. I've also heard good things about the FXPHD Houdini 101 and 201 courses and would be interested in hearing more feedback about those.

-L

• 3 months later...

Im goin to have to say character. Not only becasue its one of the aspects i probably have used the least.... When I show houdini to maya and other package users the immediate reactions is that it "is for fx"

Also, when a user has character workflows in other packages, even if they have come to houdini for use of dynamic or particles etc... which is robust and likely required a bit of new learning, many tend to resort back to a former package for character tasks. My opinion is that this is because many character setup and animation tools, as far as what they accomplish, are a little longer standing and standard, therefore the learning curve trade off with the robustness gained may not be as high as with ie dynamics. I think what might be needed is tutorials to help translates what a artist was looking for in a former package to how to accomplish it in a similar fashion in houdini, maybe not something as direct as 'this is directly equal to that' -- but getting close. I know there are some character videos out there, but perhaps movre intermediate and advanced ones, in higher details on specific topics too.