Crumpled Metal

drakhain

Hello :),

I would like to create a compressed can or crashed car effect. For example having a metal box gradually smashed by some increasing weight. I tried to use a cloth solver with different settings, but it's not reacting correctly, the object is always trying to keep it's shape and looks more like a softbody (even if it got beautifull wrinkles in the impact region). I've also used a switch solver to change from cloth to rbd object at a given frame but i've got huge impulse number that send my object in a galaxy far far away..

Hello :),

I would like to create a compressed can or crashed car effect. For example having a metal box gradually smashed by some increasing weight. I tried to use a cloth solver with different settings, but it's not reacting correctly, the object is always trying to keep it's shape and looks more like a softbody (even if it got beautifull wrinkles in the impact region). I've also used a switch solver to change from cloth to rbd object at a given frame but i've got huge impulse number that send my object in a galaxy far far away..

I tried this once with the Houdini Cloth solver and unfortunately it was not possible. The restorative forces and such made it either continue to crumple or spring around and try to restore the original shape. It would be great if SESI could see a way of adding this kind of stiffness control to the Cloth Solver - it really seems to have most of what it need to achieve an effect like this already.

check out the SOP solver...

$HFS/mozilla/documents/examples/nodes/dop/sopsolver/DentingWithPops.cmd

might give you some ideas

Yes i saw that helpcard and immediately thought of using it to deform a car (like in mighty joe when i sit down and bend the car) but i cannot create wrinkles with metaballs :s and i really want these. As far as i know the cloth solver is the only way to achieve that effect but i need a way to stop the object to retrieve it's shape. and like jason wrote there is no attribute in the solver for that so i'm stuck :s

maybe write out the cloth to disc, then read it back in to the RBD...that way you'll have more control over how it acts with the RBD solver...

Yes i can do that, but i will still have a softbody like crashed object.

I wonder if i can use a soft selection and apply a cloth solver only on that portion of the mesh. I don't now how to apply a soft selection though...

• 2 weeks later...