Another Instance Problem

Bernard

Hey Bernard

Did this work in 8? I'm trying to find the point expression you're having problems with and I can't see it.... Mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

M

Hello,

I want to use the point expression in the color field of the material sop like this:

point("/obj/instance1/create_variation",$PT,"Cd",0), point("/obj/instance1/create_variation",$PT,"Cd",1) , point("/obj/instance1/create_variation",$PT,"Cd",2)

uploaded wrong file....sorry...this is the correct file.

It doesn't seem to work

thanks,

bern

instance_color_h9.hipnc

Edited by Bernard

For H9, is this what you're trying to do? http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=44883

Hello,

yes , I want point instancing (not specific Mantra Delayed Load method), but the instanced geometry must inherit the color of my point.

Thus, not just using a random function on the points (rand($PT)).

If the Cd of the point is , let's say 'red', I want the instanced geometry on that point also to be 'red'...

In the above example they use the rand($PT) function to generate a 'random' color. I'm after a 'specific' color, namely the color of my underlying points.

thanks,

bern

Hey Bernard,

I think what edward means is he posted a hip file which should do what you want. Did you read through the thread or check out the hip file he posted?

Cheers!

steven

Hello,

yes stevenong, I did load the hip file and looked through the threat.

In the hip they use the rand function on the $PT to generate the instanced color...

In my example I want to use the point color (of my point geometry) to generate the instanced color.

thanks,

bern

Hey Bernard,

Okay, I downloaded your file & the one toggle that makes everything works is the "Overrides use local variables" parameter in the material1 SOP. I turned it on & it works now.

Also, I loaded edward's file & the setup is the same & he had the Overrides use local variables toggle turned on. Did you notice that? ;)

In the future, you can copy someone's SOP into your file & test with it instead. If it works, check what is the difference. In this case, it's a small but very important toggle. :) Last but not least, I opened the spreadsheet to check the values when changing the toggle and that helped too.

Cheers!

steven

post-158-1206033543_thumb.png

Hey Bernard,

Okay, I downloaded your file & the one toggle that makes everything works is the "Overrides use local variables" parameter in the material1 SOP. I turned it on & it works now.

Also, I loaded edward's file & the setup is the same & he had the Overrides use local variables toggle turned on. Did you notice that? ;)

In the future, you can copy someone's SOP into your file & test with it instead. If it works, check what is the difference. In this case, it's a small but very important toggle. :) Last but not least, I opened the spreadsheet to check the values when changing the toggle and that helped too.

Cheers!

steven

Thanks stevenong, edward.

I think spending to much time behind my pc was not such a good idea. I overlooked this 'crucial' switch. My fault!

Thanks again for the great help and pushing me in the right direction....

bern