Dops for modelling

sibarrick

Just a random musing, thought I'd just post it here in case it sparked anything off.

The sop solver is very cool, but tricky to use for modelling since you have to set up an animation or some physical state for it to interact with.

The new foreach sop is also very cool for doing "dop" type things for modeling. I've successfully used it to do some nice soft body type stuff effectively solving interpenetrations by successively raying the intersecting geometry onto itself with a soft falloff.

But I was thinking this morning on the way to buy some milk that this could be taken further. Maybe this can work already I haven't got time to try it just now.

What if, like in the chops record mode you could have a sop solver setup that solved whenever interactions happened as you interactively moved stuff around in the viewport. No need to set up an animation it just reads the position "live" in realtime. You could then perhaps setup a situation where you could model as with clay by having a "tool" push and deform your model. Or comb hair by moving a "comb" tool in realtime.

There was a post on here or sidefx recently showing an asset that had some dough being rolled out by a tube but again I think it relied on a pre-existing animation on the "tool". The result would be the same but I'm thinking of a modeling application not an animation one.

Anyway just a thought...

Yeah I'd love to see something like this for modeling too... would be close to sculpting with clay

Just a random musing, thought I'd just post it here in case it sparked anything off.

The sop solver is very cool, but tricky to use for modelling since you have to set up an animation or some physical state for it to interact with.

The new foreach sop is also very cool for doing "dop" type things for modeling. I've successfully used it to do some nice soft body type stuff effectively solving interpenetrations by successively raying the intersecting geometry onto itself with a soft falloff.

But I was thinking this morning on the way to buy some milk that this could be taken further. Maybe this can work already I haven't got time to try it just now.

What if, like in the chops record mode you could have a sop solver setup that solved whenever interactions happened as you interactively moved stuff around in the viewport. No need to set up an animation it just reads the position "live" in realtime. You could then perhaps setup a situation where you could model as with clay by having a "tool" push and deform your model. Or comb hair by moving a "comb" tool in realtime.

There was a post on here or sidefx recently showing an asset that had some dough being rolled out by a tube but again I think it relied on a pre-existing animation on the "tool". The result would be the same but I'm thinking of a modeling application not an animation one.

Anyway just a thought...