Challenge 1 - Bridge of Cards (apprentice): Tatsu

Tatsu

Hey everyone. I know this challenge is almost over but I literally just started learning Houdini this past weekend and this looked like a good opportunity to see what I've learned so far. Then I hit a stumbling block right off the bat. So... what I've done is ran a 2 segment line through a sweep on a resampled curve, skinned it and made a selection of the points running down the middle for the template of the copy sop. I've added a slight Y rotation in the copy SOP to get the overlap I want but I can't figure out why the cards are twisting as the path moves up and down. Any ideas?

I don't know if anyone will be able to open the attached .hipnc. It is of course made with the Apprentice version.

post-3658-1206507687_thumb.jpg

cards.hipnc

EDIT: Well about five minutes after posting this, I realized I could do what I wanted without the copy SOP. Just sweeping the card itself along curves now. I don't know if this affects how easy it will be to animate later down the line. But I guess I'll figure that out some other time.

Edited by Tatsu

Hello Tatsu,

that's looking very good.

The twisting of the cards might have to do with the input of the copy sop, as you need a normal direction and an upper vector (you can add this with a point SOP before copying).

I was making the same technique, like using sweep instead of copy, but then I saw the marhazan file (the one SWANN cleaned) and he actually uses both, so he has adventages of both sops. I really liked it, I recommend you to have a look at it.

Thanks for the comments. I had tried the copy SOP but had a hard time manipulating the normals and up vectors to get the layout I wanted so for now its almost all sweeps. I do realize that this makes it much more difficult to randomize things and probably animate as well. However, I know very little about surfacing and rendering in Houdini as of yet so I can tackle that stuff later. As it is, it took me quite some time just to get a properly shaded surface. I must say, even with such a simple scene and very simple lighting, I love the look of the mantra renderer.

post-3658-1206672765_thumb.jpg

cards_V03.hipnc

Edited by Tatsu