Houdini GPD library

That's great Martin, thanks.

Are you updating the sourceforge files too? Perhaps we can get Simon to add them...

M

Well i dont have svn rights to commit and i have not tested the code on linux or mac os x. I tried to remove all warning in VS2005 and this could possibly break other platforms. But it would be really interesting to improve the lib / to update it. I try to integrate volume support, but i am still far from a working version. A python and a .net and a Java wrapper is also planned ( based on swig ). I guess this would also be interesting for other people.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to be able to export bgeo/geo files from 3d packages. I could download the GDP files and include them into my tool, but to be honest, I have problems to understand the procedure e.g. to create a polyon.

Thats the procedure how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong:

- First I have a new GPD_Detail pointer, this is the base how a new object is defined, correct?

- Next I have to create points, e.g. with GPD_Point *p0 = new GPD_Point(-1,-1,0);.

- Add the points to my detail with something like gdp->createPoint()??

- Then I tell the pointer what type of primitive I want to create e.g. face = gdp->buildPrimitive(GPDPRIMPOLY).

- this primitve will be filled with vertices with something like face->addVertex(v).

- The creation of a primitive and filling it has to be done for all primitices I need e.g. all faces of a polygonmesh.

This is my basic understanding of the geometry definition. I managed to get a basic polygon, but how can I attach other attributes like normals and uv coords? The examples contain only a nurbs sphere but no polygon and detail attributes. Is there any place where I can find out more about the geometry encoding, maybe with examples? The Houdini sdk was somewhat helpful but its still quite different.

thanks for any hint.

• 11 months later...

This is a working GPD Solution for VS2005 for Release, Debug and x86 and x64 !!

It reads and writes binary and ascii files.

I fixed some windows errors and loads of warnings.

cheers dulo

Wow man you saved my day! The files in sourceforge really need an update.

• 1 year later...