HOT1.0 for Ubuntu 64

Nico D.

What version of houdini are you using ? Are you using hcompile or the Makefile ? There have been problems with some versions of hcompile setting the wrong GCC flags. It will compile on under Ubuntu 64 for H9.1.179, it's what I develop on.

BTW sorry to the Windows people who are waiting on a h9.1 compile, I don't sit in front of a windows machine any more (yay) so it's not as easy for me to push out releases. I do however have a Mac so if I get on the beta I will try and make sure that the HOT compiles ok.

-Drew

Hi,

It is possible to compile HOT 1.0rc2 for Ubuntu 64 ?

Im getting this error when trying to compile it:

SOP_Ocean.C:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

Compile failed

Im using 9.1.124, and using compile.sh.

I'll try with 9.1.179

I dont know how to specify to use gcc 64bits, I have both version installed I think, because I had installed 32bit applications.

What version of houdini are you using ? Are you using hcompile or the Makefile ? There have been problems with some versions of hcompile setting the wrong GCC flags. It will compile on under Ubuntu 64 for H9.1.179, it's what I develop on.

BTW sorry to the Windows people who are waiting on a h9.1 compile, I don't sit in front of a windows machine any more (yay) so it's not as easy for me to push out releases. I do however have a Mac so if I get on the beta I will try and make sure that the HOT compiles ok.

-Drew

Im having same error with houdini 9.1.179

Gaucho, can you check that you can compile the HDK samples ok. Check that the flags being passed to g++ look right eg try this ...

>gcc --version

gcc (GCC) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

> cd /tmp

> cp -r $HT/samples/SOP .

> cd SOP

> hcustom -e SOP_Star.C

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf165b037af65da8542e94f02a5cd6b0917c87ce10f990485e46e4887b912bda9f321e710746ccf835da310e4bffe50afad7e35545162fe867f2abac5bbe45a0ff924994e17f970847fe43abb25ec5da"' -DVERSION=\"9.1.179\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLINUX -DAMD64 -m64 -fPIC -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Star.o SOP_Star.C

g++ -shared SOP_Star.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGLU -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lXi -ldl -o /home/drw900/houdini9.1/dso/SOP_Star.so

-Drew

Hi Drew,

I have same gcc version than you.

I just tried to compile hdk examples and getting this errors:

hcustom -e SOP_Star.C

MACHTYPE: Undefined variable.

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf1c40172c861c9d463ec3bc75108b9aec2dd4b43afa985c1745efd67bde1188ca3208641146adbb67cb230659faef04f8c2eb54430e17f877ea81ac5bbe45a0bdcb5394a368c44b0890"' -DVERSION=\"9.1.179\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLINUX -DI386 -march=i686 -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Star.o SOP_Star.C

SOP_Star.C:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

Compile failed

thanks,

Nico

Gaucho, can you check that you can compile the HDK samples ok. Check that the flags being passed to g++ look right eg try this ...

>gcc --version

Copyright

The missing environment variable is your problem, it should be set automatically by your shell. Are you running this from a bash or tcsh ?

In a bash shell try setting the env. var. before using hcustom. (I'm assuming you have sourced the appropriate script in the houdini directory to setup houdini's environment.)

> export MACHTYPE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

and if that doesn't help, also try

> export MACHTYPE=x86_64

But you should really get to the bottom of the problem and work out why they aren't being set in the first place.

-Drew

hcustom -e SOP_Star.C

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf1c40172c861c9d463ec3bc75108b9aec2dd4b43afa985c1745efd67bde1188ca3208641146adbb67cb230659faef04f8c2eb54430e17f877ea81ac5bbe45a0bdcb5394a368c44b0890"' -DVERSION=\"9.1.179\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLINUX -DI386 -march=i686 -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include -I/opt/hfs9.1.179/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Star.o SOP_Star.C

SOP_Star.C:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

Compile failed

thanks,

Nico

Edited by eloop

• 3 weeks later...

hi eloop

I am new on linux. I had the older version of HOT running on windows but switched to Linux ubuntu 64 bit but having problems getting it installed and working. I tried following the instructions on the wiki but can't get it to work. Any chance of some noob instructions how to get it installed and working on ubuntu 7.04

thanks

Is anyone familiar with this error when compiling with the Makefile.linux? Any possible recommendations would be great.

cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-exceptions"
make: *** [SOP_Cleave.o] Error 1

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 x86_64. Here is the output from gcc --version

Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Thanks

This is the problem I'm getting when i try to compile HOT for ubuntu 8.04 64 bit

Any solutions

jensm@blue:~/Desktop/HOT_src_1.0rc2/src/SOP_Ocean$ ./compile.sh 

Install directory = '.'

Linking with 'libblitz'

Linking with 'libfftw3f'

Making SOP_Ocean.o and ./SOP_Ocean.so from SOP_Ocean.C

SOP_Ocean.C: In member function

Solved some of the problems

but still getting these

jensm@blue:~/Desktop/HOT/src/SOP_Ocean$ ./compile.sh 

Install directory = '.'

Linking with 'libblitz'

Linking with 'libfftw3f'

Making SOP_Ocean.o and ./SOP_Ocean.so from SOP_Ocean.C

SOP_Ocean.C: In member function

Hi

Thanks for a great tool, it's up and running.

Just want to share some things I had to do to make it work on Ubuntu 64 bit.

Download fftw and blitz with synaptic. Just search and install

Download the source for HOT

Open the SOP_Ocean.C file

change the following

ourFlags.timeDep = 1;

with

flags().timeDep = 1;

save and close

Open the compile.sh file inside SOP_Ocean

remove $DRWLIBS on the lines wich have it included

#! /bin/sh -f

hcustom -i . -I ../../include \

-I $DRWLIBS/include \ <---remove $DRWLIBS

-L $DRWLIBS/lib \ <---remove $DRWLIBS

-l blitz \

-l fftw3f \

SOP_Ocean.C

close and save.

run ./compile.sh

It should work

To compile the VEX_Ocean just go into the folder and open compile and remove the same things as in the compile.sh inside SOP_Ocean.

Hope this helps.

Maybe we should update the wiki with some new info

/Jens

Hi everyone,

Sorry the HOT hasn't been getting enough TLC recently. I'm going to spend a bit of effort in the next few weeks and push it through to a 1.0 release.

Here is a new cut of the HOT source distribution -

http://sf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/ocean...c_1.0rc3.tar.gz

I've completely rearranged the layout and put some effort into the build system. If you are an Ubuntu 8.04 user it should now be as simple as going into the src directory and running "compile.sh" or "make install", once the dependencies have been installed. Ubuntu 8.04 users should use the Synaptic package manager to install fftw3 and blitz++, 7.10 users probably still need to build blitz++ by hand as described on the odWiki. Instead of setting a DRWLIBS env. var. you should now simply edit the compile.sh/Makefile.

The odWiki documentation hasn't been updated yet.

I've cleaned out the examples, the ones included should *all* work - please test them. There are others that need to be added, particularly how to use the displacement quantities in surface shaders to produce foam textures.

This release is primarily for linux users, ie no win32 DLL's have been pre-built. I've updated to the code to support houdini 9.1 which has deprecated some HDK functions. If you want to use older versions of houdini you'll need to grab older versions of the source (eg 1.0rc2).

Windows developers can try compiling, it's pretty much the same steps as it was before and the Makefile should work under cygwin. I won't be making win32 dlls for the time being, any brave knights that want to step in and contribute here would be much appreciated. I'm now a Linux and OSX user and although I still have access to a Windows machine I tend to stay as far way from it as I can ....

-Drew

PS Google alerts just pointed me at ocean-in-xsi, I hope he's a good open source citizen and GPL's the code :-)

Edited by eloop