Houdini to object sequence to Maya Help

jakeLiang

hey dude,

anyone knows how to import OBJ sequences (animated) into Maya,while i just finished a crashing building from Houdini.

i did import OBJ sequences correctly, but the speed is killing me.~ is there any good way to transfer the animated sequences from Houdini to Maya??

thanks for helping~

Jake

hey dude,

anyone knows how to import OBJ sequences (animated) into Maya,while i just finished a crashing building from Houdini.

i did import OBJ sequences correctly, but the speed is killing me.~ is there any good way to transfer the animated sequences from Houdini to Maya??

thanks for helping~

Jake

hello. i found this http://www.subsites.org/241.0.html some time ago, it works, but it still has some bugs.

thx menoz,

i am using the same way as you suggested, however, the speed is too slow, it load every obj sequences as frames. too slow.

i did tried imported OBJ and change to FBX, but then the FBX is without animation data.

how can i change it to FBX so the speed will be faster??

thx

Jake

i think that point cache can be used only on the topologically same surface. i mean, you can't import a surface that changes over time, such as metaballs.

it's correct?

yes, i know, it's really slow, you can use the cache flag to cache your geometry sequence, but i think it's memory consuming..

i was thinking just to the realflow file format! it could be perfect. but i never used realflow on houdini, i don't know how to do. is there some kind of plugin to export in the realflow format from houdini?

hey dude,

thanks for helping~

Jake

You can write out your obj seq from Houdini and then use blend shapes in Maya.

This keep the workflow pretty clean and you don't have to mess about with

3rd party stuff and vague FBX versions.

The other methods definitely work and point caching is really great but I just thought

I would throw out an alternative.

HTH

Edit

almost forgot be sure to check the order of your sequence it can under some conditions get a bit scrambled.

edit

-Lyn-

• 2 months later...

FBX export out of Houdini 9.5 Master or Escape with the correct options in the exporter will support varying topology and will come in to Maya using point caching.

Are you using Apprentice or Apprentice HD? If so then yes you will have to find another way to get your data in to Maya.

• 7 months later...

Well I've dealded with this issue ether, what I figured out is that Houdini is able to export animated / changing topology to Maya based on point cache but due to some magic issues the UV's are lost in the procces.

You can check the tread I've started a wille ago Here..

One can find the tread which answered my quistions Here

At the end we've created a very simpel script which imports a obj secuence in Maya, and sets the visibility on or off based on the frame nummer.

Cheers.