shoreline wave

altbighead

Guest xionmark

I've been getting good results combining the Ripple DOP with fluids and particles. Also using the Houdini Ocean Toolkit too.

Sure am loving the new CVEX code API; rockin' good times! You might wanna look in that direction too for sim/render time optimizations.

Mark

Guest xionmark

CPB, I'm curious about your tagline; " From: mars body shop".

I've got a Mars connection, wondering if you've been there too ... :-)

Mark

hey

take a look at

http://www.185vfx.com/2007/08/surfs-up-course-at-siggraph/

there should be a pdf covering that and has a little section on the waves used in the movie.

however, a good idea is too look at the course notes from madagascar, it might need a little looking but 2 years ago at siggraph, a chap from DD made reference to that course when doing his course on the shore line from "flags of our fathers", all three use the technique of blending between key shapes.

hope this helps

:blink:

thanks all for the help.

Wave setup from Surf Up is a little over kill for me as i don't need a big wave with a tunnel inside.

I did a very basic setup with vex sop and getting a acceptable result for my medium distance shot .

Test Clip

wave1.jpg

wave.hipnc

now..I don't know much about POP but how do i approach the foamy part.

I am using UV space to fade out the wave once it approach the shoreline and thinking if i can let POP system know once the wave reaches .25 uv space(between 1 and 0)

and let it emits particles.. Any idea ??

Here's your file reworked with NURBs and Pasting. Gives you the freedom to add hero waves on top of a much larger ocean surface quite efficiently

wave_v002.hipnc

This is a trivial implementation that took approx. 15 minutes so take it for what it is.

The Paste SOP is awesome for the animation (via transations) of a static hero wave formed by the skinning of a bunch of control curves. You can also reference the underlying uvs (position reference from hero waves to base surface or pref) quite nicely as is done in the attached example file. Converting a pasted hierarchy to polys then NURBs is a good way to get a single resulting surface.

Note: There are other more advanced ways to reference the uv's using parametric functions. The Ray SOP seems to be holding up it's own in this trivial file though.