Houdini/Maya PDC plugins - need beta tester

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark

Hello,

I recently found some time to (just about) finish the Maya PDC importer/exporter plugins but realized I don't have a copy of Maya to test with (I only have Maya "PLE").

Would there be anyone who could generate some PDC files for me? I only have one that I've been working with but has some odd attributes in the very end of the file.

I would also need someone to help with testing the code a bit for me too.

Attached is the current source code, I'll have compiled DSO/DLL's as soon as I have a bit more of the exporter finished.

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/SOP_PDC/src/html/

Guest xionmark
Hey Mark, I'll do some testing next week. Cheers!

PS, as for a test PDC, see attached (100 frames, particles emitting from origin with growing radius and r,g,b = x/3,y/3,z/3).

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sending those test files, it clues me in on something I saw in the only PDC file I had to work with. At the end of the file there is an attribute called " ghostFrames" that I haven't found any documentation for, so I'm going to assume that I can end reading the file into Houdini. That is, until I can find out how to handle that attribute, because I have no idea what may follow it, or if the attribute is some I should import into Houdini.

The current version will post shortly, I want to add this clause in the code for now. I have a little more work to do on them, probably finished by the weekend, will send details shortly, but they are importing and exporting.

Mark

Guest xionmark

OK, the first version is ready, there's compiled versions for 32 & 64 bit Linux and 32 bit Windows. I have to do a little more work to export/import the detail attributes, also I'm just looking for "standard" point attributes to export now, ran into a road block getting the attribute dictionary properly so for now I just build a list of attrs to look for. This should be easy to complete and will have it done over the weekend; I likely won't be able to touch the code for a few weeks (relocating/starting new job, etc.) so trying to get this first cut in a reasonable shape. There's lots of features I can add later that will help performance and flexibility, plus some VEX mojo via CVEX (which is *so cool*); don't want to get to carried away, but considering how often these 2 apps have to talk to each other, it might be worth the effort to throw some extra goodies into this "importer/exporter".

The code will also be placed on sourceforge with the other Houdini plugins, and will be available via SVN to extend and contribute (this is open source ya know!), and I gotta also mention how much Doxygen helps out for quick docs, love that "utility". I'm gonna throw a few $$$ his way (http://www.doxygen.org/) because how much it's helped me out over the years, it's still the only useful way to glean any info from the HDK API ... yea, I know. old song. Anyhow, just wanted to mention Doxy in case there's a few coins to share from anyone else in the Houdini camp that's used Doxygen for HDK to spread the love.

So, please test the plugins, report bugs, feature requests, etc., I want this code to be robust and production worthy.

Download distro:

http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/SOP_PDC/H..._v1.0.23.tar.gz

Example hip file:

http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/SOP_PDC/S...DC_dev_v1.0.hip

Documentation (Doxy!):

http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/SOP_PDC/src/html/

All the best,

Mark

I'm on Linux Ubuntu 32bit... I can do some test if needed. I've got Houdini 9.1.218 and Maya 2008.

I'm not a maya user though.. so I might need some guidelines to do what you need from me from maya.

I'm writing this when I cant download anything ... so .. I'll might take care about downloading the plugin tomorrow or next tuesday if that's ok.

cheers.

At the end of the file there is an attribute called " ghostFrames"

This should be a list of frames where "ghosts" are drawn. I've never used this, but I think it's sort of like the onion skinning you can achieve in Houdini (except with more control over number of frames).

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

HI

Downloaded and compiled it for linux 64 bit.

But how do you read the pdc data from Maya.

It write out files in a strange numbering order depending on the over sampling so for 24 frames with 25 oversamples it creates

250 260 270 etc uptil 5990. Ican import the file in Houdini but i nedd some script to `$F/10` so I get particles each frame, now it's every ten frame only

Do you have a solution?

/jens