models: sea shells

platypus

howdy folks...

just thought that i would share my sea shells (definitely a work in progress). i love the simplicity of the forms...

hoping to possibly look into developing shaders for them in houdini as well.

really enjoying the houdini approach.

critiques welcomed, requested. will post some SOP network shots if there is any interest.

shell_A.jpg

shell_B.jpg

shell_D.jpg

very interesting platypus! did you use the golden ratio to create its dimensions?

check out this link for how the golden ratio relates to the sea shell. it is great info!

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Kno...cci/fibnat.html

and this one discussing logarithmic spirals used to create various shells.

http://www.notam02.no/~oyvindha/loga.html

i have been thinking of attempting to use lsystems to create similar constructions for awhile now. something to think about...and eventually do! :)

thanks Will!

I was originally planning to model them using the fibonacci sequence and L-Systems, but just couldnt quite get it to work the way that I wanted to. ended up using log spiral functions instead - see the expression cookbook in the Houdini docs.

i plan to delve deeper into L-Systems when i get a chance and see if i cant figure something out.

thanks for the links. have used the first one extensively already. this book has been a big help so far too ~ The Algorithmic Beauty of Sea Shells

nice shells.....

Try enabling shadows on the lights to get that extra "solid" feel and get rid of the brightness inside...

you could also set the shadow intensity to something less than 1, this way you let some of the light sip in....that doens't compare to true translucency, but hey....would look nice...

shells are always cool :)

• 4 weeks later...

very cool link! thanks man. I checked out a few similar aps for fractal and l-sys generation when researching the shells. never found that one though. good stuff.

unfortunately i have been too busy lately to explore any more, hopefully soon.

thanks also for the lighting/rendering tips, sirogi.

B)

• 3 weeks later...