CHOPs/Music book is out!

wow that's pretty amazing, I hope to see some more work like that out sometime in the future :) ; Maybe Houdini this time :lol:

late reply - but just catching up on this forum. i know for sure it was hand animated in lightwave. we're currently working with the same director (and i've known him for 10+ years). v nice chap - and thinking about learning houdini...
Edited by andrewlowell

I really hope it get's people using CHOPs more. Seems like there's been an awefully large amount of CHOPs questions on the forums lately. Or maybe it's just because I have a few weeks off :D

just started reading it,

the topics that you covered sounds pretty useful stuff.

cool,

:thumbsup:

Edited by andrewlowell

purchased, i'll get my head into it on my flight to LA next month. I'm pretty excited but right now i don't have time I am exactly in deadline hell now. hehe... good for you that you have a few weeks off tho :)

Cheers

-Jens

Edited by JDenker

Cool thanks Jens!

purchased, i'll get my head into it on my flight to LA next month. I'm pretty excited but right now i don't have time I am exactly in deadline hell now. hehe... good for you that you have a few weeks off tho :)

Cheers

-Jens

Thanks Netvudu! It's actually pretty interesting; most of my customers so far, maybe 2/3 have been from Europe, the rest Asia. Even more Canadians than USA, Whz up with that? Has the USA given up on music? :lol:

Just purchased it. Here hoping CHOPs expands the bag o

I have almost 0 "tactile" musical ability. :lol: I took piano lessons when I was young but was terrible at it, no performance ability what so ever. However, that's not what's required to make music with computers, just like you are not required to be an actor to animate a 3D character.

Personally, I prefer to spend hours on a very short section of musical tones, very similar to how a 3D fx shot would go. And, Houdini let's you create the most exacting forms of audio or synthesis you could ever want; more exacting than audio programs. Too much so possibly.

But, the book is only half how to make music with Houdini. The first half is clearly dedicated to using existing music and audio to form procedural animations; which I think is the reason why most interested people will want to read it. After reading the first half of the book, enough musical concepts, CHOPs ability, motivation, and courage might form to explore the second half :)

I really wish I have some musical ability (like being able to play erhu, piano, or something), but I don't.... :( so at best I can only enjoy listening to it. I am just waiting for the next credit period to make the purchase. :)
Edited by andrewlowell

• 4 weeks later...

no thank you Swann! I hope it demystifies CHOPs a bit :) ... by the way; the U of Montreal requested a custom printable eddition. So, if anyone want's to save a little ink I made a version with no colored-backgrounds and with page numbers etc. Just email me and I'll send it free of charge.

Just downloading it, thanks Andrew.

EDIT: Book is already on my disk and... on my desk... printed.

Thanks.

Just started reading it. It's realy nice change to read book, whitch you can hold in your hands, instead of computer monitor. So refreshing :).

Edited by SWANN