houdini license

hey

i have a triple boot mac computer

osx windows linux

i bought a license for windows and found out that it is not transferable to osx or linux on the same machine

wouldnt it make more sense to lock it to hardware than lock it to the operating system ?

its not like more people use it since its just one machine

what do you think about that ?

Ok, I haven't tried houdini with multibooting so this is all guessing :)

At least with other software licences tend to be locked to network card mac-addresses.

Namely the mac address of the first network adapter found.

If you have several adapters (wifi etc), then maybe the order in which they are "found" might be different?

Perhaps you could try to disable an extra adapter to change that order?

Dunno, maybe SESI locks to more than just the mac, just thinking out loud..

eetu.

I agree, but don't think it's as big a deal if you're using Apprentice HD. You're able to use the normal version of Apprentice to work on the same files that you use in Apprentice HD.

For commercial licenses you have a choice of node-locked or floating license. If your license is floating then you pay a bit more, but get to use Houdini on any machine on the same network. (I'm not sure if you're bound to one OS though) At least this is my understanding, but for all I know it may be different. My Escape license is node-locked, so I'm bound to one OS on one machine.

I would've liked more options for licensing though. Pixar for example allows me to assign my node-locked license to a USB thumb drive, which is extremely convenient for me since my main workstation is a dual boot Linux / Windows box, and my laptop is a Powerbook running OSX. All of which I can simply plug in my thumb drive and use.

Edited by Alanw

Pixar for example allows me to assign my node-locked license to a USB thumb drive, which is extremely convenient for me since my main workstation is a dual boot Linux / Windows box, and my laptop is a Powerbook running OSX. All of which I can simply plug in my thumb drive and use.

Yes, that is true I would be so grateful if sesi reconsider their licensing options. USB solution would be really handy for freelance people who use for short period of time different machines on different networks. I am ready to pay more for the dongle ;)

Yes, that is true I would be so grateful if sesi reconsider their licensing options. USB solution would be really handy for freelance people who use for short period of time different machines on different networks. I am ready to pay more for the dongle ;)

but please make it a super small and super stylish one

i would hate to have an ugly huge thing sticking out of the side of my macbook

but please make it a super small and super stylish one

i would hate to have an ugly huge thing sticking out of the side of my macbook

I'm pretty sure you'd have to provide your own. At least thats how mine works. It's hard to complain though, as you can get 4 GB's for around $40, which is already handy enough for a freelancer.