capture weights

anakin78z

Hi,

I thought this worked before, but I'm playing with it now, and I can't even get it to do the simplest things. Edit Capture Weights, and Paint Capture Weights don't seem to really work at all. Edit Capture weights just snaps back and forth, and values return to their original ones whenever they feel like it. When painting, I seem to be able to add points to bones, but not remove them. In fact, when I try to erase changes, my points will turn all sorts of pretty, yet totally irrelevant colors.

Does this work for anyone?:huh:

Jens

Are you using H6? In H6, we've turned on capture weight normalization for Edit Capture Weights to fall in line with Paint Capture Weights? Whenever you modify a weight, it re-normalizes all the weights associated with that point so that they sum to 1. This explains the handle jumping after you release if that is what you're seeing. If you look at the weights in the spreadsheet, are you certain that they are returning to their identical values? If in H6, then right-click on any slider and turn off Normalize Weights to see the different.

actually, I tried both 5.5 and an H6(6.0.206) beta. The normalizing thing may or may not be the problem. I would use the spreadsheet to change a value from 1 to 0, and it would pop back to 1. In the viewport, the color wouldn't change unless I went to around -5 or even less. Another problem was picking points. First off, even in shaded mode I was able to select points on backfaces, which made box selections useless. Then, and this is totally weird, sometimes when I would select points, suddenly my selection would totally change, and half the points on my head model (which is what I was trying this on) would be selected. Using undo to get my selection back didn't work.

Painting capture weights didn't seem to work either, and trying to erase changes results in crashing every time I've tried it.

So what's the methodology for removing weights from a point?

Thanks,

Jens

P.S. I only did brief testing in 6. Most of this was done in 5.5.

Try using a Visibility SOP to limit what gets picked in the viewport.

It shouldn't crash no matter what you do. How big is the file? You could either put it up on our ftp server or e-mail it directly to me if it's less than 3 megs. At a minimum, if you simply send me a gzipped .geo of your final (non-deformed) geometry, then I can check the capture attributes. I suspect that there must be some seriously messed up capture weight attributes on your geometry.

Thanks!

Hmmm ... There does seem to be something odd with the Paint Capture Weight in H6 but not H5.5 ... It seems that dragging on the geometry is broken whereas if you single-clicked on it, then it works ... It otherwise seems to work as expected on H5.5 and H6. But then if you're crashing then the weights might already be in a very bad state.

Jens and I tried H5.5 and H6.0. When we have a bone in geometry, which is capturing only half the geometry and we try to remove some weights completely with the Edit Capture Weights, weird stuff happens. Try it out.

Also, the Paint Capture Weights will always give bad results when your Ctrl+RMB: Erase Changes.

On that note, it could be cool to have access to the Visibility SOPs from the Object viewer somehow. This would make using the "Paint Capture Weights" object viewer operation (and others) more powerful too.

You can do this easily enough.

Just build a daisy chain of visibility and switch SOPs and then create new OBJ OP type. For the new OP type give it as many toggle parameters as you need and link them to your switches. Check the attached file for an example. In the Visibility OP's control panel there's a couple toggles you can hit to change visibilty.

You can set these up pretty quick for yourself.

vistoggle.hipnc

Drats, I forgot Houpla was tonight. It would be good if you could show it to Jeff which then he could show me. I'm trying a single sphere now too but no dice. There must be something which you're doing that I'm not ...