Breaking a window issue

Nerox

Guy's,

I'm working on a 'exploding' window of a door, due to someone smashes the door. (I'm not sure if this is proper english but you'll get the clew, I hope ;-).

Any way I've followed Peter Claes's approach for the procedural breaking part.

I'm trying to let the glass break out, by the force which comes from the door movement. I probably could use a force field and animate it, but I think this should give a more realistic result.

I've animated the 'door' (in the test it's not really there, only something that should go for the glass) before the dop import node.

The issue is the glass doesn't seemed to be effected by the motion add-all, appart from the twisting motion. I've played with the glue options, which only results in the RBD object sliding down along the animated object due to some static force.

I hope anyone has any idea's on this one. Its probably very easy since I'm pretty much new to Houdini ;-).

I've attached the scene.

Fracture_08b.hipnc

Mangi,

Thanks, indeed it does work for me to. Any way, I found it's pretty hard to do a effect like this (I can hear everyone think: Ow? Really ;-).

I think I'll try to do a window falling straigth down, I've found some interesting footage on Youtube.

In this video on 1:57 till 2:07 (see link below) a piece of glass is falling down, I tried to get a similar effect. It seems once the glass hits the ground it breaks, the pieces, especially the larger parts slide along the ground, like they hover on it, without jumping up and rotating due to the impact.

I tried to get a similar effect, but I can't get anything similar without having the biggerparts jumping/rotating around.

What is a decent approach to get suge a effect?

Mangi,

Thanks, indeed it does work for me to. Any way, I found it's pretty hard to do a effect like this (I can hear everyone think: Ow? Really ;-).

I think I'll try to do a window falling straigth down, I've found some interesting footage on Youtube.

In this video on 1:57 till 2:07 (see link below) a piece of glass is falling down, I tried to get a similar effect. It seems once the glass hits the ground it breaks, the pieces, especially the larger parts slide along the ground, like they hover on it, without jumping up and rotating due to the impact.

I tried to get a similar effect, but I can't get anything similar without having the biggerparts jumping/rotating around.

What is a decent approach to get suge a effect?

I know this is much of a 'How do I model a car' like question, but there must be some sort of natural sciences explanation for this sort of effect, right?