How to render sprites? The Definitive example

atrytone

I have searched far and wide in many forums and there is a theme that many people are searching for a way to render sprites in H9. While coming across many suggestions I have not been successful.

Would someone be so kind as to explicitly explain the process and attach a hip that demonstrates it? Could be a simple emitter with a very simple sprite render.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Thanks

Edited by atrytone

Here is a file. A very basic setup using the Houdini standard Mandril image.

Create your particle system.

Add a spritePOP

Create a Vex Decal for the mandril image and navigate to the houdini folder it is kept in.

Add your shader in the spritePOP or as I have done, add it to the material floating browser in the material tab on the geometry node at OBJ level.

Create a Mantra Sprite Procedural inside SHOPs and add that to the geometry OBJ. Render tab--->Geometry tab--->Procedural Shader

Quick and dirty, but thats about it.

Same thing for using a particleSOP, apart from you have to use an attributeCreateSOP for the spritescale attribute if you want to control, that. (Sprite POP has a check-box for that attrib).

EDIT: Miguel beat me to it, but I shall leave this post anyways :)

post-2039-1219257755_thumb.jpg

Sprites.hipnc

Edited by ragupasta

Here is a file. A very basic setup using the Houdini standard Mandril image.

Create your particle system.

Add a spritePOP

Create a Vex Decal for the mandril image and navigate to the houdini folder it is kept in.

Add your shader in the spritePOP or as I have done, add it to the material floating browser in the material tab on the geometry node at OBJ level.

Create a Mantra Sprite Procedural inside SHOPs and add that to the geometry OBJ. Render tab--->Geometry tab--->Procedural Shader

Quick and dirty, but thats about it.

Same thing for using a particleSOP, apart from you have to use an attributeCreateSOP for the spritescale attribute if you want to control, that. (Sprite POP has a check-box for that attrib).

EDIT: Miguel beat me to it, but I shall leave this post anyways :)

Cheers mate! Thanks for the quick response, that was what I was looking for.

sorry, but the spritescale attribute doesn't work, I tried several ways, H8 works, but in H9 not. Anybody used it?

Tranks!

Yes it does work.

Create a mantra sprite procedural shader in shops, and inside that in the attribute section type spritescale. I have only had it to work by promoting the attribute at this level.

Add an attributecreateSOP and label it spritescale (no uppercase letters). Set the default to 3, 3, 3. Even though sprites are 2d, its expecting 3 values, that why you need to set three values and not two. If you dont set the 3 values it will not work. I set mine to 3, 3, 3. Ok the size slider match that to the default (3). Now use the value ladder on the value attribute.

EDIT: Ingore the last values going up, as thats because I used the value ladder on all the axis's at once like a fool :)

post-2039-1219834510_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1219834534_thumb.jpg

AttributeSprites.hipnc

post-2039-1219835312_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1219835322_thumb.jpg

Edited by ragupasta

Yes it does work.

Create a mantra sprite procedural shader in shops, and inside that in the attribute section type spritescale. I have only had it to work by promoting the attribute at this level.

Add an attributecreateSOP and label it spritescale (no uppercase letters). Set the default to 3, 3, 3. Even though sprites are 2d, its expecting 3 values, that why you need to set three values and not two. If you dont set the 3 values it will not work. I set mine to 3, 3, 3. Ok the size slider match that to the default (3). Now use the value ladder on the value attribute.

EDIT: Ingore the last values going up, as thats because I used the value ladder on all the axis's at once like a fool :)

thanks ragupasta! I understood, I was using a vector type. Ok, so you set the size value to use sprites with 3 values, then in the value param you set the real size of sprites. I dont undertand the logic but it's work, its different to H8. :lol:

Thanks again