Technical and CHARACTER Rigging from 3DBuzz

Guest Swann

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the radio show the other night...

3 DVD on char rigging and #4 is a vehicle of some kind...IIRC

which is ironic because I was just thinking the other day about doing a rigging book...well more accurately how one gets /paid/ to write a rigging book

heh,

I don't think you do it for the money.

I think you do it for the love.. that or for the children.

ping me if you want a hand.

-k

which is ironic because I was just thinking the other day about doing a rigging book...well more accurately how one gets /paid/ to write a rigging book

I was just thinking about the economics of such a thing...

lets just pretend that I'd get $50/book...and lets just be crazy and say that the book sells 1000 copies (has any Houdini book/DVD etc sold this many usits?)

that's $50,000...less costs?...leaves not much money compared to working for a living...

granted there is always the DVD route or print on demand (costs are way less)...but I'd still have to take the time to do it - without compensation... :(

lets just pretend that I'd get $50/book...and lets just be crazy and say that the book sells 1000 copies (has any Houdini book/DVD etc sold this many usits?)

that's $50,000...less costs?...leaves not much money compared to working for a living...

I like Andrew Lowell's approach with his CHOPs book: downloadable PDF + files. I can print the parts I'm more interested if needed or just read it on a comp.

Dragos

I was just thinking the other day about doing a rigging book...well more accurately how one gets /paid/ to write a rigging book

Not a bad Idea though. Perhaps you could continue and complement where 3DBuzz ends in the videos. In-depth about Houdini specific topics such as Houdini muscles / Autorigging / blendshapes /setting up a character with Hair / Fur and Clothes and how to move data with FBX using external applications for animations. And how to use Zbrush or Mudbox together with Houdini for displacement/normal mapping techniques.

A complete character pipeline so to speak.

Edited by SoulVector

This is vechicle from 4 rigging DVD. And it will be totally automated. Wheels turn in the direction of the way vehicle is following, springs reacts and others...

PS. Sadly modeled in MAYA :(

EDIT: It looks that there will not 4 but 5 rigging DVD's relased in the next week or so.

HoudiniVehicleRender_Preview.jpg

Edited by SWANN

Glad it works for you Dragos! I'll chime in on the $ aspect of this discussion.

So far I've made much more than I've expected out of the CHOPs book; thanks to promotion from SESI and a few others, I probably could have squeezed a little more out of it it I would have put a higher price tag on it; but even then I don't think the $ (from actual sales) would even come close to the amount/value of time it took to write.

The real benefit for me is that it's starting to create a market for the types of projects I would enjoy the most, and it's allowed me to meet many people who both appreciate my efforts and are interested in the same type of things; some are already talking about projects etc. So, I'm seeing it more like the projects I'll be working on 5 years from now will pay the real $, not sales from the book.

So, education isn't just a means to an end, it's also a way to change how things are done. Others will learn from the resource and form their own variations etc. Hopefully with the new Rigging videos there might be a few more jobs for Houdini riggers in the future! I'd really like to see this aspect of Houdini rival it's fx side.

I like Andrew Lowell's approach with his CHOPs book: downloadable PDF + files. I can print the parts I'm more interested if needed or just read it on a comp.

Dragos

PS. Sadly modeled in MAYA :(

It's a bit of a shame we didn't model the vehicle in Houdini, but we're working very hard on Houdini content, and the only person with the time to put the model together was a Maya artist. Not to worry though, in the real world studios will use multiple applications in a pipeline anyway. Nothing wrong with modelling something in Maya and then rigging it elsewhere.

Thanks for all the interest in the Technical Rigging series. I'm very excited and I can't wait until our official launch of the content... coming very soon :).

Steve Twist,

Director of Houdini Education,

3DBuzz, Inc.

It's a bit of a shame we didn't model the vehicle in Houdini, but we're working very hard on Houdini content, and the only person with the time to put the model together was a Maya artist. Not to worry though, in the real world studios will use multiple applications in a pipeline anyway. Nothing wrong with modelling something in Maya and then rigging it elsewhere.

Thanks for all the interest in the Technical Rigging series. I'm very excited and I can't wait until our official launch of the content... coming very soon :) .

Steve Twist,

Director of Houdini Education,

3DBuzz, Inc.

Ok, now the question is, who will make a *character rigging stuff first? This is a main issue here. Considering an amount of time needed to write a book or to prepare and record DVD, the second one seems to be an option (at least I would consider it). Maybe some kind of deal with 3dbuzz or cmivfx (for Michael ;) )could help to overcome technical challenge of publishing own stuff.

Edited by SYmek

Ok, now the question is, who will make a *character rigging stuff first? ...

That's the topic of the first DVDs in the 3DBUZZ rigging series, I think the first 3 are all character rigging

only the 4 is vehicle rigging, something like that.

this DVDs are gonna rock

That's the topic of the first DVDs in the 3DBUZZ rigging series, I think the first 3 are all character rigging

only the 4 is vehicle rigging, something like that.

this DVDs are gonna rock

Close....

The first 4 DVDs focus on a variety of techniques that apply to all types of character rigging. The ACTUAL character rigging DVD will be released shortly after the first 5 DVDs (4 techniques, and the advanced vehicle rigging DVD).

More details coming right around the corner!

Steve