Finefur suggestions ( sample file and image attached )

kensonuken

I don't know for what are You after, but setting pixel samples 8x8 or 10x10 (at the most), and using shading quality multiplier with 0.1 (you don't need shading quality unless you texture the fur), gives production quality. Maybe try to avoid sharp texture filters like sinc, use triangle.

this was the statement in that page..

However, the value for the pixel samples needed to be quite high. We had lots of very thin overlapping curve primitives and without adequate pixel sampling they would alias badly. For most every fur render, our pixel samples needed to be 7 in both directions. We tried different filters as well and found visually that the sinc filter kept more sharpness and did not introduce any objectionable ringing.

Bear in mind Stuart Little was PrMan too - and we've seen that the radius of the gaussian filter in Mantra (default 2 2) can be matched with a PrMan gaussian of 1.5 1.5, I think. (or is it the other way 'round? I can't remember.)

The "fine fur look" - do you have an example image? I have a feeling you might be referring to a shading thing more than a super sampling thing... ie, white/"clear" fur with more translucence (scattering) rather than the coarser more opaque default fur shader. Some more gradual transparency falloff at the tips might help. You might be barking up the wrong tree with fiddling with filters and supersampling too much, I think.

dbukovec It looks just awesome... as good as what I have expected But would love to see some ultra fine fur as well.. like the one in the Blender Peach..

and the one in 3delight renderer...

http://www.darkblueanimation.co.uk/img/3Delight_fur.jpg

this is what Ive been looking for its soooooo soft and looking sooo natural...

anybody how can it be done?

still higher level sampling?

I've done that sort of thing in the past by making each hair increasingly transparent along it's length towards the tip.

dbukovec It looks just awesome... as good as what I have expected But would love to see some ultra fine fur as well.. like the one in the Blender Peach..

This is all about tip transparency and nice lighting. The Add Fur tool can many colors set by default (the parameters for which I find a little scattered about and therefore confusing, personally) and you must turn them off - like the leopard.rat root map and such. There is no doubt that fiddling with the fur setup you can get an equivalent look to this in an hour.

thanks Jason and dbukovec thanks for the info.. but if anybody can provide me a vex code for the base shader it would be much better for me to start tweaking from there..

I'm sure you can just use the one disted with the fur setup already.

i personally don't think this is "natural" looking at all, it's nice, but way to soft, unless that's the look cartoony your going for?

yes it's like the other guys say, it's all in the transparency, colors and the lighting

jason