Bridge Collapse

MIguel P

Hi everyone,

I'm back with a new project: the collapse of the millennium bridge of London.

Here is what I've got so far after three days of work.

I modelled the entire bridge in houdini, and it proved to be great to do it. Then I broke it with some cookies and made a low res version (a bounding box) which I used in dops to do the simulation. The cables are dop wire objects with a polywire sop added. I shaded the bridge with a very simple shader (constant color with specular and reflections using the background image).

The crack areas and the falling bridge parts emmit dust, which is rendered as sprites, and also debris.

I got the splash emmision geometry using cookies and used the N and v of the bridge to drive the particles. I rendered them as points with deep shadows.

The river is a plane with a custom displacement shader using perlin noise.

Tell me what do you think. Suggestions are welcome!

bridge_collapse2.avi

Edited by MIguel P

great work.

The only thing that might help is, the buckling of the bridge seems a bit too fast. If that could be slowed down 30% it might make the motion look a little more realistic. the same could apply with how fast the pieces are falling into the water and the splash speed. But i would start slowing down the bigging part.

other than that, amazing work mate.

Ive walked that bridge many times, Ive even walked it when it was first opened (it had to be closed because it was rocking too much :P )

3 Days of work, great stuff.

Cant wait to see more.

-andrew

Indeed, very nice so far.

The main walkway falls too evenly though. There will be rebar in the concrete which will interfere with the collapse, changing the time of the pieces falling. Parts will twist, some fragments will be stuck together and the ends of the remaining bridge will be messy with rebar sticking out.

Thannks! I'm glad you liked it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Here I've changed the splashes a bit. Now they travel further and fall down faster. Some fo the particles collide with the water surface, and others remain in the air as mist.

I'd render a higher particle count, but my 2gb of ram don't let me do it :(

bridge_collapse3.avi

Great Job Miguel! I like it a lot! But the wires on the sides if the bridge look a little odd. They break apart and yet they don't break into pieces or anything. the wire simulation makes the bridge look a little off scale, it looks like a miniature. Other than that it's a great shot! especially that it's done in such a short time. Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

ihab

really great work as always

I'm not sure I agree with ihab, I would not expect these cables to go to pieces

and if so only one or two strands should be broken out.

The cables on this side of the bridge closest to camera

do seem a little off but it seems to be a animation (re-sim) fix to me.

The only other comment is the camera shake is too cyclic, needs work.

It needs to be more random and have a point in the action when it is really prevalent and taper off after( make since?)

HTH

Great work again

Keep after it.